Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pmase123  
#21 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:39:52 AM(UTC)
pmase123

Groups: Registered

ok so i found it .. it was at the top of the freezer. wow. and the heater at bottom. so to test the thermostat i put wires together and tak a oms reader to it ... ? correct? and that will tell me if that is bad or heater. so i looked at teh timer and the plug part looks good in color the prongs are copper color with a little discoloration ..
denman  
#22 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2011 12:43:12 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="DarkRed"]so to test the thermostat i put wires together and tak a oms reader to it ... ? correct? and that will tell me if that is bad or heater.[/COLOR]
No you do not put the wires together.
You keep them apart and then you put a meter lead on each wire to measure the parts resistance.
Then you are measuring through the one wire and through the part and back through the other wired.
The defrost thermostat should read 0 ohms (closed) when it is frozen.
Note: It opens (infinite ohms) just above freezing.
The defrost heater should read approximately 20 ohms.

A couple things to watch when measuring ohms and continuity
1. Always remove power from the machine otherwise you could blow your meter.
2. Always disconnect at least one side of any device you are checking. This eliminates the possibility of measuring an alternate/parallel circuit path.
3. When checking for closed contacts and continuity use the lowest scale (Usually 200 ohms). Then try higher scales. This scale is 0 to 200 ohms so if the device you are measuring is 300 ohms this scale would show an open circuit which it is not, you are just measuring outside the scale's dynamic range.
4. When you start always short the meter leads together. This will tell you that the meter is working and if there is any 0 offset.

There is a good STICKY at the start of this forum about it's use.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!