Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WATYF  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 6:30:15 AM(UTC)
WATYF

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Spectra XL44 Gas Range that came with the house when we moved in about 4 years ago. I'm at the point where I think I need to replace it, but I want to find out if the problems are easily fixable, or if they're so expensive that I'd be better off just buying a new one. Here are the problems I'm having with it.

1) The stove puts out a TON of heat when the oven is on. It ridiculous. You can barely stand over it. This problem has been that way since we first moved in, though, so I just figured that the stove was cheap and inefficient.

2) The stove takes a really long time to preheat. It has taken up to 45 minutes just to get to 400. This problem just recently started, though.

3) Something in the bottom burner for the oven is "sputtering" occasionally when it is in use. It sounds like a flame that can't stay lit and keeps trying to relight or something. This problem also just recently started (right about the time that the really long preheat problem started).

4) The right-rear burner can't cook anything. The flame will turn on, but it stays very, very low, no matter how high you turn the knob.

In light of all this, I have a couple of questions. Do these problems sound like something that would be simple/cheap to fix, or, seeing how this is a cheap stove, would I just be better off buying a new stove (maybe something a little more expensive)? Also, is it normal to have that much heat coming off the stove when the oven is in use? I was looking into new stoves and I found a few in the $600 range that got really good reviews, but I would still find reviews where people said that the top of the stove got really hot when it was in use. Isn't there a more "efficient" brand of stove that doesn't let so much of the heat escape through the top?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

WATYF
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abadfish66  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 7:10:55 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

The heat has to escape from the oven via a vent tube, there is no way around it, that's how they are. As far as your heating problem with your oven, most likely problem is the glow bar (ignitor) part# WB2x9154 runs around $90.00, and is a rather easy fix.
The burner you say only cooks on low, you can take the knob of for that burner, and insert a small screwdriver into the shaft and adjust the flame size, turn the burner to low, and adjust the flame till the flame just touches the burner cap for the low setting and your good.
WATYF  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:00:57 AM(UTC)
WATYF

Really? Is it different with electric ranges? The one we had in our old apartment didn't put out nearly this much heat (but it was electric).

I will look into the ignitor and burner suggestions. Thanks.

WATYF
abadfish66  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:18:29 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

Electric is the same, and it depends where the vent tube is located, whether you'll notice it as much or not.
opie_  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:38:32 PM(UTC)
opie_

I was worried about the stove putting out to much heat, it seems like the discharge valve is under the clock/display and exhales over the burners. Thanks for the reassurance my oven isn't broken, since it was here when i moved in.
frankiemay  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:48:36 PM(UTC)
frankiemay

I seem to have the same range and, like you, it was already in my house when I moved in. It took me a while to get used to gas but I love it now. Although this range is on the lower price end, mine works really well. It only takes about five minutes to pre-heat but you are right about the amount of heat it gives out. I find I have to remove everything off the range before I cook in it. I have been researching ranges and there are a lot out there at pretty reasonable prices. I shop online so would suggest that you Google gas ranges and you will see a bunch of sites where you can compare prices. Many of the sites don't charge shipping or tax and many show customer reviews. Good luck!
j_resler  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:14:43 AM(UTC)
j_resler

I'm pretty sure it no longer matters for person who posted this topic, but for anyone else wandering through.....the right rear burner on this model is a "simmer" burner. It's not supposed to "cook" anything.:)
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 19, 2023 8:06:03 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I was on line with you about 1 hour ago re: oven temp prob lem.I set it for 310, beeper went off in 10 mins and then it took another 30 mins. You offered a pamphlet for a $1.00. I have the XL44.
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 19, 2023 8:16:53 AM(UTC)

United States

Need help with XL44 oven temp. Does not heat up to set temp. Oven very hot
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 29, 2023 3:14:22 PM(UTC)

United States

Hello my oven igniter lights, I smell gas but it never warms up
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply