Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
iraslotnick  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:27:15 AM(UTC)
iraslotnick

Groups: Registered

Control pad shows E1-F2 error. A&E Repair (which I now find out is partly owned by KitchenAid) wants $1,215.00 to fix this requiring 3 parts: 4455636, 4453661 and 4456323. The whole oven costs $2,200. Feel this is outragious. Your website suggestschecking a connection of switch pad and control panel. How do I check this connection? Any further suggestions?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kayakcrzy  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 5:15:55 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

. Check keypad connector for firm connection (keypad connects to control board).
2. Press CANCEL. If error code returns after 60 seconds, replace keypad (also called touch pad or membrane switch). Some models incorporate keypad in to control board as one unit. In this case, replace control board (also called ERC or clock

This is what your manual says. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
iraslotnick  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 11:45:52 AM(UTC)
iraslotnick

1) How does pad connect to Control panel to check if firm connection? Is it just a 'plug' of sorts? Can you give me a little more direction? Why would the connector become loose? Thanks.

2) A&E said I need 3 parts without checking the connection. They never touched the machine except to turn in on. They just "found" the solution on their computer?
3 parts said I needed:

Was I being scammed?
kayakcrzy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:27:12 PM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Hell yes, you are being scammed!!!!!!!!!! That is like, order it all, and you can't miss. Listen, sometimes it is hard to distinguish if it is the control board or the touch pad is the problem, so you just have to go with what the manual says. Now, this is real easy. On the left side of the stove, when you open the door, there is a metal strip, it start at the bottom of the control panel to the bottom of the oven. On the bottom right side is a phillips head screw, take it out, and slide the metal strip down, and out. It will then expose another phillips head screw on the bottom left side of the control panel. Take it off, and do the same on the other side, and then lift up on the whole panel, and it will come off. The touch pad has a ribbon, about an inch and a half wide, that fits into a slot on the control board. Lift up on the black plastic clip on each side, and the clip that holds the ribbon on will come up just a little, so you can pull the ribbon out and reset it. Of course you are going to do this with the power off to the oven. Once you reset it, set the control panel back on without the screws, and turn on the breaker on, and see what happens. If it does not work, kill the power and remove the ribbon from the board, and set it back in place, and turn the power on. If you get the same code, replace the touch pad, if you don't get that code replace the control board. Now just know, it might work, when you replace the board. If not, you will have to replace the touch pad. That is a rule of thumb, that I follow. Let me know what happens, before you order anything. Tom
iraslotnick  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:18:43 PM(UTC)
iraslotnick

Thanks so much. I will give it a try. Sounds easy enough as you describe it. I'll let you know.
kayakcrzy  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2008 4:14:12 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Good Luck. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
iraslotnick  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2008 9:06:11 AM(UTC)
iraslotnick

I re-set the touch pad cable as you instruced (great instructions - thanks again) and did not get any error message. Also no error msgs when we run the oven so maybe I lucked out and it was just the connection. I believe you said if no error message to replace the control board as opposed to touch pad. So that could still be a problem if it errors out again. I notice that the on-line parts sites have the control board on back order w/ estimated date of April 2009 which sounds wierd. Maybe KitchenAid is re-designing it. There was also a lot of dust that built up inside near the wires which I cleaned away as well.

Thanks again.
kayakcrzy  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 3:46:57 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Sometimes that is all it takes. Just talk nice to the oven, when you walk by it. Have a Merry Christmas. At least your wife will not be getting a oven for christmas. How relieved she must be. LOL!!! Tom
iraslotnick  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 6:34:16 PM(UTC)
iraslotnick

Oh well, oven was great Sunday but today started it's old error routine. We re-called A&E because they never gave us a a written estimate. Different fellow came out and he only wants to replace the membrane swith (touchpad, I guess) charging us $262 for the part. (big difference from the first fellow who wanted $1100 for 3 parts). On line I can get get it for $179, but on backorder until January. What's your thought - do you think I can replace it myself? Didn't notice how it sits in it's position - just reset the ribbon connection to the control board.
kayakcrzy  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 3:21:56 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Where can you get part # 4456323 for that price? That is the part # that you gave for the toch pad. That is unbelievably cheap. My parts house sells it to me for 225.44. I would get it then and do it your self. Here is a picture. It is real easy. Let me know where you got that part. TomUserPostedImage