Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GaryM.  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2008 8:46:26 AM(UTC)
GaryM.

Groups: Registered

My inlaws have a GE side/side refrigerator/freezer (Mdl. #GSS25JFMBWW) that they say isn't cooling. I was told that the refrig. section doesn't cool, but the freezer section is cold (the back section has ice). When they defrost the whole unit, they say it works fine for approx. 2 weeks, brfore they notice that the refrig. section is warm again. They had some knucklehead from the Pennysaver come out and tell them that the fan was bad, so he replaced it. This didn't do it, so then he told them that it was the timer, and replaced it. This didn't do it either. He then told them that it had to be the main circuit board, at which point they told him to take a hike after spending $200. Where should I start looking? I'll have my hands and eyes on the unit in a couple of days. Thanks,

Gary M.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

v2k04  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2008 9:07:37 AM(UTC)
v2k04

Groups: Senior Expert

first place to check is the defrost heater that would be the most common
abadfish66  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2008 9:17:28 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Yep, the heater. That's f'd up he said he replaced the timer, this refer does not even have a timer!!!
v2k04  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2008 9:41:47 AM(UTC)
v2k04

Might be the flux capacitor those have a long history of going bad lol
abadfish66  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2008 9:49:06 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Funny, what's sad is alot of times you try to save a buck by hiring someone cheap, and it ends up costing more than if you would have called out a reputable company in the first place. This repair would have cost under $200 if I did it.
v2k04  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2008 10:38:55 AM(UTC)
v2k04

and the same holds true for a lot of Do it yourselfers. Especially with tub seals and bearings Those are major repairs and unless you have been properly trained in doing it, you run into many many problems. I know my fisrt several attemps at Maytags mounting stems and spin bearing with the metal split tubs I always had trouble resealing and getting that big clamp going around the tub to seal properly Once that seal is broken it can be a sob to get right
libertyappl  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2008 10:45:03 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

HERE'S THE BREAKDOWN OF THEIR UNIT Model GSS25JFMBWW

Most likely the problem will be #230 on section 2 page. (Heater & bracket asm ) and like the other guys said would have been under $200 for certain.

Nat
GaryM.  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:59:55 AM(UTC)
GaryM.

I agree with you, I have told many a person this time and time again, you get what you pay for. At the same time, I had someone from the phonebook (recommended by BestBuy) come out and give me an estimate on repairing my dryer, as I was working alot of graveyard hours and couldn't get to it. The tech came out, spent 40 seconds and told me that it was a solenoid which would cost about $100., making the total about $190. including labor (he said it would take about 1/2 hr. to install it. I wasn't happy, but my wife needed a dryer after being without one for a couple of weeks. I told the guy OK, so he ordered the part and said he'd be back in a couple of days. 2 days later, he showed up in the morning, I just came home from work, was tired and not happy to see this guy after thinking about it. anyway, he pulls off the front cover to the dryer, unhooks 2 wires, pulls out the 2 screws holding the solenoid and removes the solenoid. He then pulls out the new solenoid and reverses the process. Then he starts the paperwork, so I look up the part on the internet, and find out through this website and others that I could buy the part for $16. I confronted the guy about this and about his "half-hour" install time, and he tells me that the best he can do according to his boss is knock about $40. off. Rather than show the guy how much we like our weapons here in good ol' Cali., I agreed and told him to take a hike. A lesson well learned. I will start with the defrost heater and let you all know how it goes by this weekend.
GaryM.  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 4, 2008 1:05:26 AM(UTC)
GaryM.

I agree, I do industrial building maintenance and many times, my time involves going behind some of my co-workers and correcting their "repairs", things that they should never have done in the first place.
denman  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 4, 2008 2:06:31 AM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I would like to suggest you buy yourself a digital multimeter.
You can get a decent one for under $20.00. You do not need fancy but it is nice if the leads are a couple feet long.
If it saves installing one unnecessary part it has paid for itself and you end up having a very handy tool.
Plug and chug can be an expensive method for repairing anything.

There is a good sticky about it's use at the top of this forum.

The odds are high that it is your defrost element in this case just because the glass type heaters are crap but you are playing the odds.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply