Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DonP  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 4, 2011 9:18:57 AM(UTC)
DonP

Groups: Registered

Our GE refridgerator is over 10 yrs old and still works except for excessive noise. I opened the back panel and discovered the compressor seems loose. It vibrates as it runs and makes a lot of noise. It feels loose. Can this be tightened or, do I need to replace the part (very expensive part.

Thanks for the advice!
DP
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 5, 2011 4:37:28 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric GTS18EBMDRCC Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

The compressor is mounted on rubber grommets (Item 737 in Section 3) so check that they are OK.
Looks like clips hold the compressor down on the grommet/studs so they are not adjustable. I would check this as it may be nuts often parts are upgraded and they do not update the drawings.
Check that the studs are all tight.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
DonP  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 5:05:58 PM(UTC)
DonP

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric GTS18EBMDRCC Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

The compressor is mounted on rubber grommets (Item 737 in Section 3) so check that they are OK.
Looks like clips hold the compressor down on the grommet/studs so they are not adjustable. I would check this as it may be nuts often parts are upgraded and they do not update the drawings.
Check that the studs are all tight.

Denman:
Thanks for your reply. Your description is accurate, the grommets are rubber, and they are held down with what appears to be clips. As it operates the entire piece vibrates causing the compressor to make shaking noises. I could not see anyway to tighten the rubber grommets, short of taking them off. But if I do that I am not sure what I should replace them with? Would I just order replacement pieces for the grommets?
Thanks again

DonP
denman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 12:54:07 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Would I just order replacement pieces for the grommets?[/COLOR]
Yes

I would only replace them if they are cracked or look like they have lost their elasticity.

The parts layout does not show how the compressors mounting plate is held to the frame but I would check that it is tight.

You could try placing a washer between the compressor and the grommets so they compress a little more.
Or
Remove one of the clips try it, reinstall it, remove another one and try it

Finding and repairing this type of problem can be a real pain.

The big problem with moving the compressor is that there is a possibility that a compressor freon connection could start leaking.

Also excessive vibration may be a sign that the compressor is on it's last legs.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
DonP  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:13:29 PM(UTC)
DonP

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Would I just order replacement pieces for the grommets?
Yes

I would only replace them if they are cracked or look like they have lost their elasticity.

The parts layout does not show how the compressors mounting plate is held to the frame but I would check that it is tight.

You could try placing a washer between the compressor and the grommets so they compress a little more.
Or
Remove one of the clips try it, reinstall it, remove another one and try it

Finding and repairing this type of problem can be a real pain.

The big problem with moving the compressor is that there is a possibility that a compressor freon connection could start leaking.

Also excessive vibration may be a sign that the compressor is on it's last legs.

Denman:
Thanks, I will try what you suggest. The compressor mounting plate is attached to the frame by four screws. The two front ones are easy to get to, the rear ones are more problematic. I checked the screws yesterday, and they seemed secure. The rubber grommets though seem kind of soft and loose. The compressor seems to bounce on them. As it does so, I place my hand one the compressor and apply a little pressure, and it reduces the vibration but, not much, because the pressure I apply isn't evenly applied. I will try the washers, and hope the fix works.
Thanks again.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply