Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rsimms  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2008 11:05:32 AM(UTC)
rsimms

Groups: Registered

My maytag washer will fill up with water in the reg. and perm. press cycles and then does not advance to the next segment of the cycle (agitate, rinse, spin, etc.) The timer goes through the cycle, but when light goes off and you lift the lid, the tub is full of water. The delicate cycle works start to finish. We were thinking timer, but not sure.

Also, how do you check the timer to see if it's bad? My husband is a master tech and has the tools, he just don't know what the readings should be.

Thanks,
rsimms:)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2008 12:00:34 PM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

The tech sheet inside the console has all the information a master tech should need. Just study the timer chart: it shows which contacts should be open and closed at the various settings of the dial.
rsimms  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:30:01 AM(UTC)
rsimms

Do the symptoms I explaining sound like the timer could be out?
magician59  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:40:15 AM(UTC)
magician59

I wouldn't rule it out as a suspect. Try manually setting it to rinse/spin in a regular cycle and close the lid. What does it do? Test the lid switch.
rsimms  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:29:11 PM(UTC)
rsimms

Manually rotating the knob throughout the cycles does not work. The tub fills up and then does nothing. The only working cycle is delicate. That's why we suspected the timer.

Also, do you know if there are any belt adjustments to be made when replacing worn belts with new ones?
Maytag Model LAT8435AAM.

Thanks.
magician59  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:12:09 AM(UTC)
magician59

Make sure you rule out the lid switch. I suspect the timer also. When you replace the belts, they should remain loose. the pump belt will appear to be almost falling off the pulleys. This is Maytag's design to eliminate the clutch that other manufacturers use.
mpd33  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:48:30 PM(UTC)
mpd33

I don't have any answers, but I do have the exact same problem. About a week ago my Maytag (Model: LAT9704AAE) stopped completing the cycle except for the delicate cycle. Tonight I've just noticed on the electrical schematic (found it taped under the control console) that the only cycle the motor runs in slow speed is for the 'delicate' cycle. The three other cycles run the motor in 'regular speed'. Is it possible for the motor to work in one speed but not the other?
magician59  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2008 3:29:01 PM(UTC)
magician59

Originally Posted by: mpd33 Go to Quoted Post
Is it possible for the motor to work in one speed but not the other?

Yes. That's why it is important to check to make sure you're correctly diagnosing. Both components are expensive. Timers fail more frequently than motors. Try this: Select a cycle. When the machine quits mid-cycle, turn the timer one click at a time, checking to see if you can make it restart. If you can, chances are the timer is the culprit.
mpd33  
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 11:36:15 AM(UTC)
mpd33

I found a good web site for drawings at 'point and click appliance repair'.
I put in my washer's model number and they provided excellent drawings.
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 28, 2021 2:39:33 PM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mpd33 Go to Quoted Post
I don't have any answers, but I do have the exact same problem. About a week ago my Maytag (Model: LAT9704AAE) stopped completing the cycle except for the delicate cycle. Tonight I've just noticed on the electrical schematic (found it taped under the control console) that the only cycle the motor runs in slow speed is for the 'delicate' cycle. The three other cycles run the motor in 'regular speed'. Is it possible for the motor to work in one speed but not the other?

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply