Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lcsarges  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 6:34:10 AM(UTC)
lcsarges

Groups: Registered

Our Maytag Dishwasher is venting from the top right side of the door underneath our counter top and destroying the counter. It used to vent out the dishwasher vent (and through the three holes located in the door). We had a repairman replace the recalled heating element and then my father-in-law adjusted the tub. Shortly after we noticed the venting problem. My Father-in-law replaced the seal on the door thinking this was the problem and that the steam was escaping through the seal and not forcing the dishwasher vent to open. It did not correct the problem and we aren't sure what to do next. Is there something controlling the dishwasher vent that we need to replace?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 7:47:19 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lcsarges Go to Quoted Post
Our Maytag Dishwasher is venting from the top right side of the door underneath our counter top and destroying the counter. It used to vent out the dishwasher vent (and through the three holes located in the door). We had a repairman replace the recalled heating element and then my father-in-law adjusted the tub. Shortly after we noticed the venting problem. My Father-in-law replaced the seal on the door thinking this was the problem and that the steam was escaping through the seal and not forcing the dishwasher vent to open. It did not correct the problem and we aren't sure what to do next. Is there something controlling the dishwasher vent that we need to replace?

Are you sure, the technician or your father-in- law re mounted the dishwasher in the original position, could they have set the dishwasher farther into the cabinet ?

You will need to check the door assembly for possible warpage or loose liner mounting screws, and insure the door liner is straight across (side to side) and the unit is properly leveled.

Vent Operation

In the dry cycle(last 30 minutes of cycle)

The vent wax motor recieves voltage from the control board.
the wax module in the switch melts and expands, causing the plunger to move out and activate the flapper in the housing, allowing the heated air to vent out through the control panel.

You can remove the vent assembly and test the operation of the wax motor and flapper with a 120 volt test cord.

Part number: AP4374858
Part number: AP4374858

If the wax motor works, you'll need to check for voltage from the control board to the wax motor .

Here's a copy of the Technical Data sheet to run the tests

http://servicematters.co...ibrary/docs/16026393.pdf

If all checks OK, and something you may want to consider,

Add an additional vent seal to the inside of the control panel, so you've got a tight fit

Part number: AP4114420
Part number: AP4114420

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
lcsarges  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 7:53:39 AM(UTC)
lcsarges

Thank you for the information. Everything was working fine before, so I feel like it had to be something with the position of the tub. My FIL says that he leveled it, but I am going to have him check the position before we test anything further.

Let you know what works and thank you for posting all of the info and the pdf instruction.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 10:23:11 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Thank you for the information. Everything was working fine before, so I feel like it had to be something with the position of the tub. My FIL says that he leveled it, but I am going to have him check the position before we test anything further.

Let you know what works and thank you for posting all of the info and the pdf instruction.

Your particular situation was a prevalent occurrence,

This is how I handled it :

Position the dishwasher in the opening as straight and center as possible.

Close and lock the door, position the dishwasher so the front edge of the control panel is even with or protrudes 1/8 to 1/4 inch with the face of the countertop.

Raise the feet until there is a very little gap (1/16") betwen the attachment clips and the mounting flange on the countertop bottom.

Open and close the door several times and adjust the feet until there is no resistance between the tub and door assembly, then install the mounting screws and complete the remainder of installation as needed.

That should get you into the proper setting position and keep steam off the bottom of your contertop, unless you do have a problem with the vent or door is warped or tweaked out of shape.

Good Luck,
dblan9  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 10:02:50 AM(UTC)
dblan9

Did lcsarges ever find a solution? I am having literally the exact same problem with the exact same steps leading to it. We had the heating element replaced as a recall and then it started venting out of the top right side and ruining the counter. We replaced the seal and now it is still venting out of the side and creating a steam condensation drip on the floor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 11:40:17 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: dblan9 Go to Quoted Post
Did lcsarges ever find a solution? I am having literally the exact same problem with the exact same steps leading to it. We had the heating element replaced as a recall and then it started venting out of the top right side and ruining the counter. We replaced the seal and now it is still venting out of the side and creating a steam condensation drip on the floor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dblan,

No, we have not recieved an update post from the prevoius post.

Are we dealing with the same model or style of dishwasher ?

Your exhaust vent system and exhaust openings are on the left side of the unit door, Not the right side.

You'll need to follow the procedure stated in the previous posts, you'll also need to check the hinges,frame and the door liner and panel, to see if they were warped or damaged.

Good Luck,

lcsarges  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:13:22 AM(UTC)
lcsarges

No, unfortunately replacing the seal and re-positioning the tub did not work. We continue to have venting improperly out the upper right side (underneath our counter). I did notice when it is venting, if I push the door in on the right side, it starts to vent out the left vent holes properly. So I now believe it has something to do with the door and the overall fit. I think if our tub had never been pulled completely out when the heating element was replaced we wouldn't be having this problem now. We just decided this morning we are going to eventually replace the whole thing because we've never been very happy with this dishwasher.
Joe / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 7:00:15 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

No, unfortunately replacing the seal and re-positioning the tub did not work. We continue to have venting improperly out the upper right side (underneath our counter). I did notice when it is venting, if I push the door in on the right side, it starts to vent out the left vent holes properly. So I now believe it has something to do with the door and the overall fit. I think if our tub had never been pulled completely out when the heating element was replaced we wouldn't be having this problem now. We just decided this morning we are going to eventually replace the whole thing because we've never been very happy with this dishwasher.

Icsarges,

Sorry to hear that, I had a test unit for several years, never had a problem, was sorry I had to return it.

Your description indicates the door and tub are not properly aligned and sealing. That could be due to any of my previous reccomendations.
There are a couple of things you can try in the mean time,
Loosen the torx screws holding the plastic door liner to the door panel and "tweak" the door panel at the right top area of the control panel.
Get some aluminum metal vent tape and install it to the bottom of your counter top, across the opening above the dishwasher, this will help to deter damage to the counter top.

Good Luck,
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply