Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
goelajay  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 4:10:26 PM(UTC)
goelajay

Groups: Registered

My freezer's temperature (GE PSS26SGRD) is not going lower than 8-10 and my refrigerator temperature is 45. I did the following tests using multimeter and J2

Put the black in 3rd, Red in 8th pin, it read 13.6 V. Opened the door for 3 minutes, heard the fan moving. Put the black in 3rd and red in 4th. Instead of reading between 8-12 it read 13.6V. What does that mean? I tried black in 3rd and red in 5 that also came 13.6 volt. What does that mean? One of the fan is not moving I can see as I have opened the freezer panel and removed ice maker. This I am assuming is Evaporator fan. Not sure about condensor fan. Also when I start my refrigerator I can see frost on the coils within a few minutes. If this all relates to just evaporator fan, can you please let me the model number of the fan?
goelajay attached the following image(s):
PSS26SGRD.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2011 1:21:25 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Go to the sticky above "GE refrigerators (GS* & PS*....... for proper voltages. One set of pins gets a square wave from the motherboard AP4436216 which is about 1/2 the 12 volt supply, if missing or 12 volts, the motherboard is bad. I would also replace the evaporator fan motor at the same time.
goelajay  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2011 5:13:47 AM(UTC)
goelajay

Thanks for replying. All my tests were done from the mother board on the back of refrigerator using this video YouTube - ‪GE Refrigerator Fan Motor Diagnostics‬‏

From the sticky thread (http://forum.appliancepartspros...or-test-replacement.html) I couldn't really understand much.

In bullet 4 of "The evaporator fan motor test procedure:" it says "Check for 13 VDC from the red to the white wire and between 8 to 13 VDC from the white to the yellow wire at the evaporator fan connector." Can you please elaborate on this? If I am looking at the right harness (please see picture attched) there are 2 reds, 2 whites, 1 blue and 1 yellow/white striped wire. Also if you can let me know which wire from multimeter goes in which pin for testing, I will really appreciate it.

Thanks
goelajay attached the following image(s):
PSS26SGRDSS_2.jpg
richappy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2011 10:00:27 AM(UTC)
richappy

Ignore the white thermistor wires, check the others per. the article, a missing or lack of a 6 volt signal indicates a bad motherboard.
goelajay  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:30:56 PM(UTC)
goelajay

So I got the new evaporator fan and replaced the old one. Before putting the freezer panel back on and putting the ice maker in place, I want to make sure this fixes the issue. When should I see the fan running? I turned on the refrigerator, put the thermostat to lowest settings and now am waiting to see if I can hear/see fan rotating. How long would I need to wait to check if it is working?

Thanks
richappy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:12:49 PM(UTC)
richappy

Your old evaporator motor blew out the motherboard, fan motor will not work without a new board.
goelajay  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 7:32:17 AM(UTC)
goelajay

Thanks for your feedback guys. Within 10 minutes of changing the fan motor, I could see the fan moving and my refrigerator is now a good as new :)

Thanks again!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply