Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ddagsyn  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 4, 2011 4:27:01 PM(UTC)
ddagsyn

Groups: Registered

hi
I have a Samsung RS2630SH fridge with a frost free freezer. Just yesterday we noticed icy build up at the bottom of the freezer. We cleared the ice and also cleared the block vents in the freezer. The issue is that the ice has come back. Any clue as to what to look at. The door seal looks good and the vents are now clear in the freezer. Also, just before we noticed this issue the fridge made a lot of noises. But it has since stopped once the vents were cleared.

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ddagsyn  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 7, 2011 6:02:53 PM(UTC)
ddagsyn

I shut off the fridge and let it defrost. I opened up the freezer compartment back panel and notice the drain completed iced up. The evaporator coils had no ice sheets and were not iced up at all. The defrost heater seemed to work fine as I do see it come on in the freezer. There is an orange glow.
My question is with the drain plug. How does it get so iced up. The water in there seems to be iced up as well. Correct me if i am wrong but isn't there heater coils to evaporate the water. Could that be the issue. If so how do get access to replace it if i had and could you please help me with a part number and name etc.
I do plan on letting it thaw our and restarting the fridge to see if the issue comes back.

Thanks
ddagsyn  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2011 11:40:52 AM(UTC)
ddagsyn

I have an update to this issue regarding my drain hole freezing up --the issue seems to have gone away after I have turned off my ice maker. Any help in diagnosing the issue with the ice maker would be helpful.
thanks
jdeakins3  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 6:11:54 PM(UTC)
jdeakins3

Hey, just saw your post. I am having the same problem with icing, and drain seems to be clogged below the coils in the back also. Did you ever find a solution for yourself? I think maybe mine is the icemaker also, because I noticed a trail of ice that seemed to stem from the top. Any assistance or advice you may have is welcome. Thanks!
ddagsyn  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 4:57:13 PM(UTC)
ddagsyn

hi jdeakins3,
No solution yet, however I am pretty confident that somehow the issue is with the icemaker. I suspect that the icemaker is somehow leaking water that is collecting on the drain pan causing it to freeze up.

As it seems that my clogged drain issue has stopped once I switched the icemaker off. I have not had the time to troubleshoot the issue with the icemaker but will update you with what i find.

In the mean time if anyone else has had this issue please chime in.

Thanks
masterquinn  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:04:49 AM(UTC)
masterquinn

there is usually a kit you can get with a heater probe that attaches to the defrost heater and goes down a ways into the drain tube. this will keep water from freezing in that tube. the kit is made by whirlpool but can be used on any defrost heater that is the metal type. here is a link to the part for any future readers of this post. Whirlpool 819043 Heat-Probe - AppliancePartsPros.com
mateck  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 5, 2017 3:09:10 PM(UTC)
mateck

I'm working on mine right now - same problem. But I know it has nothing to do with the ice maker. The icemaker has been off for a month now once I noticed the problem. But the ice chunk on the bottom of the freezer kept getting thicker, and still slowly leaking out the front door of the freezer. So I am going to do the copper coil trick I see on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE10_puZWKo