Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
traveller  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:51:06 PM(UTC)
traveller

Groups: Registered

Oven will not ignite. Tearing into appliances is new to me, but I am fairly handy so we will see how this goes...

My wife told me tonight that the gas oven will not light. The cook top is working fine and gas lights easily. Oven (both bake and broil) not working at all. When starting a bake cycle, the fan starts right away, and a few seconds later I hear a "tink" sound from low in the oven (gas valve?). There is no igniter "click-click-click" after that and I do NOT smell gas. Exact same results with a broil cycle. The electrical burner ring around the gas broil burners does heat up.

I did a search for my model number which is KGSK901SSS01 and came up empty. I will keep searching this awesome site, but thought I'd get the question out there as well.

Any pointers?

Thanks!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

traveller  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:18:46 PM(UTC)
traveller

I think I have made some progress. I checked the resistance on the gas valve solenoid (the three terminals). With wires disconnected, terminals 1+2 show about 194ohms. Terminals 2+3 show open. If I understand correctly, terminals 1 and 2 (1 being the topmost) controls broil while 2 + 3 controls bake. So shouldn't I expect broil to work but not bake? Both are not working.
Gene  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:58:37 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You are on the right track. The resistance of each of the coil should be about 216 Ohms. If one of the solenoids is open, neither one will operate. The solution is to replace the gas valve/regulator.

- The gas valve/regulator Part number: AP3886450
traveller  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:04:42 PM(UTC)
traveller

Thanks for the confirmation Gene!

Last question - is it tricky to replace this part? Note that I am on LP gas instead of natural gas if that makes a difference since I know sometimes that requires valve or burner adjustments to be made.

Thanks again!
Gene  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2011 3:30:01 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: traveller Go to Quoted Post
...Note that I am on LP gas instead of natural gas...

It is very good you did mention it. I'm assuming you did use the range on LP before that problem happened, so everything has been already converted. The new gas valve/regulator comes preset for natural gas and has to be adjusted for LP prior to installation. The instructions are attached to the reply.

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
traveller  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2011 6:26:40 PM(UTC)
traveller

Thank you Gene. I got the valve and installed it with the appropriate LP conversion steps. Everything seems to be working perfectly.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply