Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
redstang66  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:31:54 PM(UTC)
redstang66

Groups: Registered

I have seen people with similar problems but mine is a little different. When the washer goes through a complete normal cycle when it does fine it agitates, rinses and drains but when it gets to the high spin part of the cycle nothing. I can hear the timer moving but nothing else. Now if I manually select the high spin part of the cycle with the dial it will spin fine depending on exactly where the dial is in this part of the cycle when engaged. Takes some finesse to find the sweet spot. Any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

SublimeMasterJW  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:58:28 PM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
well it is most likely the timer but do this first. Remove the timer and look for corrosion on the quick plug and remove the timer barrel cover and look fr burned marks on it.
redstang66  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:54:50 AM(UTC)
redstang66

Okay that is a pretty expensive part to replace is there any way I can test it to make sure that is the issue and not the clutch or a brake shoe or something else?
richappy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2008 2:40:15 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You can wiggle the timer knob to verify bad contacts, although sometimes that does not work.
redstang66  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2008 3:28:49 AM(UTC)
redstang66

Okay I took the time off and looked at all the contacts the look pristing. looked like a little white stuff on the top of the contacts on the smallest quickplug. I cleaned them up a little and buttoned it all up. Seems to do the same thing. I then bypassed the lid switch and it seems to work fine. So could it be a bad lid switch? Make sense?
redstang66  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 5:44:41 PM(UTC)
redstang66

Okay still doing it only my wife says that if she turns the basket then closes the lid it starts. she says she may have to do this a few times but it starts. Still think it is the timer?
magician59  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2008 5:11:01 AM(UTC)
magician59

Could be a dead spot on the motor windings.
cskarran  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 5, 2008 4:16:53 PM(UTC)
cskarran

I have the same brand of washing machine. I have same problem did the same thing. Problem still occur. How do I fix a dead spot on the motor winding or better yet what is the fix.
richappy  
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2008 12:27:05 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Motors Never develope a "dead spot". You probably have a bad lid switch. Just short it out to verify.
magician59  
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:01:08 AM(UTC)
magician59

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Motors Never develope a "dead spot". You probably have a bad lid switch. Just short it out to verify.

Of course, you are technically correct. However, I have seen motors with weaknesses, such as eroded or insufficient insulation on the wires of the windings. This was enough to cause a no start condition if that weakness were positioned "just so"; where just a little coaxing in one direction or another influenced it to start. We would consider that as a "dead spot" rather than drag the customer through a scientific treatise on the theory of motor operations.
Dead spot or no, this condition warrants a motor replacement.