Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
solonman  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:41:03 AM(UTC)
solonman

Groups: Registered

My Amana dryer takes almost 2 cycles to dry clothes. I have pulled the heating element out and done a continuity check. I am getting continuity.
Is it possible that the element is wearing out? Could this happen? How do I know if the thermostat is good or bad?
Any suggestions?
I hate to order a new element and find out that is not the problem. What else should i check for.
Dryer was purchased July 1999
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jeff / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:54:37 PM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Hello solonman. You will need to check and see if the vent is clogged or kinked. If so, this will cause longer drying cycles. If it is clear, then here are a few things to check. Check and make sure you have 240 volts coming to the dryer. Also check the heater and thermal fuses and see if they are good. You can test these with a multi-meter. They should read closed for continuity. Hope this helps.

Part number: AP3440648
solonman  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:02:37 PM(UTC)
solonman

Groups: Registered

Jeff,
Thanks for a quick response. The continuity of the element is fine. The vent and hose is clean with no kinks. I will pull the thermostat and thermal fuse and check the continuity. I am definitly getting 240 volts from the outlet.
If the thermostat checks out along with the thermal fuse.....any other suggestions? If either is bad, would you recommend changing out the thermostat, fuse and element since they are all over 10 years old?
Jeff / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:11:28 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

You will want to remove the front and check the lint filter housing and the blades of the blower wheel as well. If the heater is testing good, it should be ok. Test the heat coming from the dryer with a temperature meter and see what it is going up to on high heat. Hope this helps.