Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
builder14  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 7:29:04 PM(UTC)
builder14

Groups: Registered

coils are clean. temperatures are fine in both sides. freezer fan will no shut off and not cycle. please help. very handy, builder, etc.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

v2k04  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 7:40:48 PM(UTC)
v2k04

Groups: Senior Expert

If it's running and cooling ok you are probably ok That frig I bet has an 80% run time or better so unless a guy is sitting there 24-7 and documenting the times it's hard to determine that it is always running and never shutting off it may be shutting off when your not around I wouldn't worry to much about it until it quits cooling
builder14  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2008 6:13:01 AM(UTC)
builder14

yes, we have sat in front and waited. the fan used to cycle once in awhile, now it is on 24/7. will it burn it out and/or waste electricity? thank you
Gene  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 11, 2008 2:06:23 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The evaporator fan motor runs together with the compressor and stays "on" for 120 seconds after the compressor has turned "off".

If the evaporator fan motor stays "on" for more than 120 seconds after the compressor has turned "off" then the control board is bad and has to be replaced.

- The part number for the control board is AP3685685

Gene.
builder14  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 11, 2008 2:22:55 PM(UTC)
builder14

Gene, thank you for trying to help me here. Last spring i cleaned the coils very well and the compressor stopped running too much. now the air circulating fan in the rear upper freezer area is the one that won't shut off at all. it is definately running 24/7, (coils still clean, i checked). i know which one is the evaporstor fan. is it not the little one in the bottom area that blows across the drip tray? how do i fix the freezer fan?? is there a relay stuck on, or a bad contact somewhere? thank you
Gene  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 11, 2008 2:31:27 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The evaporator fan motor is #7 on the break down diagram. It is located in the freezer.

Gene.
builder14  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2008 6:39:18 AM(UTC)
builder14

Gene, thank you thank you. i think by the diagram that this is the fan that won't shut off. Is this also the location of the refrigerator equivalent of a cental A/C "A" coil? just wondered where they stuff them in. if this is the fan, what controls it when the compressor is not running? i need to repair of replace the control. does this fan throw the cooling from the coil and also distribute the air throughout the chest? How long can it run full time without burning out? thank you.
richappy  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2008 9:06:56 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The freezer fan MUST turn off during defrost cycle, if not it would bring the freezer temperature so high all the food would start to thaw out.
You may have refrigeration problems, measure the back wall freezer temperature and post.
builder14  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2008 12:59:32 PM(UTC)
builder14

i do believe the food is not defrosting, and the temperature seems ok. i will check the back wall temperature and report. Maybe the fan is shutting off during defrost cycle. i have not been home for a full 24 hour period to notice. i do know that the fan is staying on during ALL of the hours i am home and awake, and it should be shutting off once in awhile. what controls the evaporator fan as far as sensors, relays, control board, etc.?
icehouse  
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2008 2:15:01 PM(UTC)
icehouse

Compressor comes on along with the evaporator motor ("A" coil in your example). When thermostat is satisfied, compressor cycles of and after 120 seconds so does the evaporator motor.
When the ADC (Adoptive Defrost Control) senses that the unit needs defrosting the compressor,condenser fan motor (outside unit on central air), and evaporator motor ("A" coil or furnace motor) turn off, and defrost heater energizes. After a predetermined time, the unit comes out of defrost and the compressor and condenser fan energize. The evaporator fan does not until the coil temperature reaches the defrost limit/fan delay setting (usually 25* F.).
The evaporator now becomes energized.
Since this is determined by the ADC, if there is a problem with this control you will have problems with said components.
The ADC replaced the conventional timer as it was felt to be more energy saving (defrosting only when needed), however there seems to be many bugs in this system. There is an excellent book available called the "Fridge Doctor", even and old retired HVAC/R Teacher learned from it. :)