Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
radji  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:25:53 PM(UTC)
radji

Groups: Registered

Our house has its original Gaffers & Sattler furnace (installed in the 1970's). I am replacing the old (original thermostat) with a digital one and have a dilemma. There are four wires strung together coming out of the furnace: Red, White, Blue, and Green. The old thermostat was broken off the wall when some furniture was moved down the hallway, so I don't know which wires were connected. Attached is a picture I found online of a thermostat that looks similar to the old one. The replacement is a Honeywell RTH111. It just needs to heat up and for the fan to work. Any help is appreciated.
Respectfully, Radji

ps: we've already had an HVAC technician out. He couldn't decipher the wiring and would not randomly jump wires to see what happened because the furnace is so old.
radji attached the following image(s):
home-thermostat-2.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

icehouse  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 12, 2011 9:20:04 AM(UTC)
icehouse

Groups: Senior Expert

Go by the color of the terminals not the wire colors. In other words a wire going to "G" on the old thermostat goes to "G" on the new thermostat regardless of color.
radji  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 12, 2011 11:09:07 AM(UTC)
radji

I don't know what wires went where on the old thermostat. We were moving a pool table down the hall and it clipped...or really ripped the old thermostat off the wall. I have no idea what wires went where since the old one is broken into about 5 pieces.
icehouse  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 12, 2011 11:17:15 AM(UTC)
icehouse

Trace them at the furnace and see where they go. Then post.
radji  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:47:00 PM(UTC)
radji

Here is a picture of how the wires go into the furnace and of the furnace itself. I can trace them farther than that but I need some instruction on just how to remove the front panel on the furnace in order to trace them. Do I just remove the two bolts at the top or does the side panel need to come off too? Thanks.
radji attached the following image(s):
2011-03-12 15.31.39.jpg
2011-03-12 15.31.56.jpg
icehouse  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 12, 2011 4:15:15 PM(UTC)
icehouse

Originally Posted by: radji Go to Quoted Post
Here is a picture of how the wires go into the furnace and of the furnace itself. I can trace them farther than that but I need some instruction on just how to remove the front panel on the furnace in order to trace them. Do I just remove the two bolts at the top or does the side panel need to come off too? Thanks.

The two bolts should do it. Can you provide the model #
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply