Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
indelible5  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 7:28:23 PM(UTC)
indelible5

Groups: Registered

I have a Side x Side Whirlpool GOLD, model: GD25DFXFB01 Mfg date: 02/99 that has a sheet of ice that builds up on the bottom of the freezer section.

Now I have read that the drain might be clogged and to run some hot water down it to clear it. However, one I have not had a chance to locate it, and two I think that is only part of the problem as I have noticed the exterior sides of the unit are not hot any longer.

About two years ago I had to call a tech out because the unit would not cool any longer and the freezer was defrosting. He had came out and I believe he fixed something in the board, after which the unit operated as normal except I noticed the sides got hot which he mentioned was normal. Well the sides do not get warm any longer, I think this is my problem for ice building up at the bottom.

Current conditions of the unit: The fridge and Freezer both get cold, I can here the evap fan turn on and run, the ice maker still makes ice.

Current problems of the unit: Sheet of ice building up on bottom of freezer section, sides of unit no longer get warm/hot.

Any help as to what part(s) I should look into replacing would be great. I would like to place an order and get this thing fixed asap.

Thanks in advance,
indelible5

*edit* model: GD25DFXFB01 (found out its B01 and not 801)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

indelible5  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 7, 2008 8:19:22 AM(UTC)
indelible5

Any suggestions on which parts to replace first?? I believe the problem is that the units walls no longer get warm/hot.. I am thinking its the defrost therm or heater... Please help :confused:

Is this the defrost Thermostat? The description is very brief and there is no thumbnail pic.. Model GD25DFXFB01 (#35) Bimetl-def Part Number: AP4299920 made by WHIRLPOOL

*EDIT: I found this helpful post by Adam that I will give a try later tonight to see what I can come up with. Here is the link for others whom might be in similar situations: http://forum.appliancepartspros...efrigerator-freezer.html
indelible5  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2008 12:19:46 AM(UTC)
indelible5

Ok, I picked up a digital multimeter and tested for continuity on the defrost therm and heater. The defrost therm reading does not change, so I believe that is the bad part. The heater reads a resistance of 34. when a setting of 200 is used in ohm section, so I believe it is still good. I am going to order the defrost therm and see if this solves my issues.
v2k04  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 9:32:43 AM(UTC)
v2k04

Groups: Senior Expert

Sounds like all you have is a plugged drain. remove the back cover in freezer the drain hole will be frozen over and you can't see it until you melt the ice. if it is still making ice chances are it is working and cooling properly
indelible5  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 12:17:26 PM(UTC)
indelible5

Thanks for the suggestion although I have already done this. Everything is working fine except the defrost cycle. From some testing I believe the bi-metal is defective, a new one should arrive today. I will post results once I receive the part and get it installed.
v2k04  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 12:36:45 PM(UTC)
v2k04

Groups: Senior Expert

iS THERE A LOT OF FROST BUILD UP ON THE BACK PANEL INSIDE OF FREEZER? a plugged drain usually isn't caused from a defrost problem and with a defrost problem the freezer and refrigerator sections wouldn't be cooling. The condenser is underneath the refrigerator in the machine compartment so you wouldn't feel heat transfer on the exterior walls.If the condensor is wrapped around side walls a person wouldn't feel as much heat when unit is cooled down and at operating temps ambient air temp also has a big part in heat transfer with condenser mounted internally inside side walls. There are three componants making up the defrost cycle, a timer,(mechanical or circuitry) a defrost thermastat and a defrost heater. Every lets say 10 hours the frig shuts off and the timer puts voltage to the defrost heater, when the defrost thermastat gets warm the contacts open and kills power to the heater then a short time later the timer turns the frig back on and it begins to cool again. Well when a componant fails it doesn't melt the frost off the evaporator and then the heavy frost on the coil causes the frig to warm up because the return air vent is plugged with frost and the fan cant circulate air around the evaporator which in turn causes the icemaker to quit working the refrigerator section runs at about 50 degrees and the freezer runs around 20 degrees causing ice cream to be soft and milk to spoil before expiration date. I will add depending on frig the defrost could occur according to compressor run time usage etc. but for the most part defrosts 2 times a day.
indelible5  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 9:34:59 AM(UTC)
indelible5

Well the parts came very fast, thanks AppliancePartsPros!

I replaced the bi-metal anyhow since I ordered it, however as v2k04 stated it wasn't my problem. It seems that the clogged drain was the only issue. Everything seems to be fine at this time.

Thanks for the fast part delivery! I will buy parts again from here once the time comes, great people.