Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
skypilots  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 4:21:38 PM(UTC)
skypilots

Groups: Registered

My son loaded washer to the gills breaking coupler. Replaced coupler, but while taking this apart i drained oil out of tranny. i replaced with 90 weight gear oil. Now washer does not spin when when there are many clothes in it. did oil get in clutch, could something else break or is oil too thick. Thanks laundry is piling up. Spins fine when empty but can hold it back with my hand.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 6:15:33 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

Did you pick up the tranny by the shaft at any point?
richappy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:27:23 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Turn tranny coupler clockwise, does the spin basket turn?
skypilots  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:24:45 PM(UTC)
skypilots

I didnt pick up tranny by the shaft. machine is put together i will take apart and check the spin basket. forgot to mention i bypassed lid switch because the plastic broke that the mounting screws go into.
libertyappl  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:58:59 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Double check your lid switch bypass to make sure it's correct. If it isn't it will NOT spin.
Nat
skypilots  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2008 2:19:35 PM(UTC)
skypilots

I cut the 2 wires and spliced them together and ground out the ground wire, also it does spin with nothing in it when you add a few clothes it slows down/stops. Should I be able to hold the drum from spinning with hand?
libertyappl  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2008 3:10:16 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

No, Sounds like the clutch is bad too. And the oil you put in the tranny is too thick, if your lucky it didn't mess it up. Probably 30 weight.
How exactly did you change the coupler?
Nat
skypilots  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2008 4:44:07 PM(UTC)
skypilots

How do you change the clutch? I will do that and change the tranny oil. I read on another website the weight was 90 gear oil. I changed the coupler after taking the motor off. I took the tranny cover off thinking that some kind of shear pin broke. I should have done research on the net first instead of just taking stuff apart.
libertyappl  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2008 7:14:16 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Here's a step by step for a clutch repacement:

The first thing that you will need to do is remove the two Phillips screws that are located at the back of the control console, (Part #49 on the parts breakdown of the control panel.)
After you have done this, pull the control panel forward and upward.
Next you will want to use a standard screwdriver, and pry the clips out at the back sides of the unit that connect the back to the case, this is done by inserting the screwdriver into the front slot, and push the screwdriver back, the clips will pop up.
Unclip the wires that connect to the case in the center, then grasp the case and pull the top of it forward, the case should slide off exposing the whole interior workings of the machine.

Now pull the top cap of the agitator off, there will be another cap under this, reach into the agitator and pull that cap up. Under this you should see a 7/16” bolt, you will need an extension to reach this and remove it.

Grasp the bottom of the agitator and pull upward and remove the whole agitator.

At the bottom in the center you will see the pump, it is held into place by two clips, remove them, and then pull the pump off, you do not need to disconnect the hoses from the pump.

Behind this you will see the motor, it is also held in place by clips also sometimes these clips will have screws through them, it will not be necessary to reinstall these screws, they are for shipping purposes only. You will probably need to use a standard screwdriver to remove these. You will also need to remove the wires to the motor, if there is a capacitor on the side of the motor, remove the leads to it also, (it will not matter which lead you hook to on the capacitor when you re-install it.

Now you will have the gear case exposed, it is easier if you tip the machine back, you will find three ½” bolts, remove these and the gear case will slide down out of the machine.

DO NOT LEFT THE GEARCASE BY THE SHAFT AS THIS WILL CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE GEARCASE.

Once you have completely removed the gear case and have it setting on the floor in front of you, you will see a bowl shaped object on the top, this is the clutch inside the bowl is a ring, you can use a pair of pliers to remove this.

You might try to turn this ring inside the bowl before you remove if you can easily slide it then this is defiantly what you will need to replace.

There is a washer that you will have to pull off of the shaft, below this you will see a clip that will have to be removed, and then another ring, I have found it easier to remove this with a screwdriver, once it is off, then pull the bowl upward

Reverse this procedure, reading the directions that come with the clutch

You will also need to replace the plastic which is the brake driver cam. It is held in place by a c/e clip, once you have done this turn and push upward on the brake so that it will be high enough when you go to reinstall the gear case.

Just reverse the procedures to reassemble the unit.
Nat
skypilots  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 2, 2008 12:21:20 PM(UTC)
skypilots

Thanks for the help. while i have the gearbox off I should replace the 90 weight gear oil with the right stuff so I know that wont be an issue, correct.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply