Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bebike  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:59:03 AM(UTC)
Bebike

Groups: Registered

Serial # GA431092 - Seven Years Old :(

Temp in freezer went up to 20 degrees and would not cool down. Had local tech inspect. After visual inspection of evaporator only, he stated compressor was bad and suggested buying a new refridge versus repairing at $ 500.00 +/-.

I have since unloaded, unplugged, vacuumed coils, and restarted. It is cooling to -2 degrees with doors shut, but the compressor and lines are very hot (150+ degrees) and seem to be be running almost all of the time.

There are two connected lines, one larger out and one smaller in. The smaller in is somewhat cool at the condensor coil. The third line from the left side of the compressor (DC57C84RBV6/R134A) is cut and plugged. One line on what appears to be the drier is cut and plugged.

The evaporator coils all have even frost and the fan, lights and refidge are all fine. Any ideas on if this is a compressor issue for sure or not? Appreciate your help.

Also, I cannot find a parts listing for this model - only the MAFBS and similar. Is this a weird model or what?

Ed
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:15:03 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

The MAFBS model is the only one I can find as well.
Just a guess, but I'd say they are the same.
I think your local tech was wrong. The compressor and one line should be warm, almost hot and the other line cool to cold. That is normal. The unit has a control board on the back and they have had lots of issues with them. If it's running almost all the time it's probably the board on the back of the unit or the temp control board under the control panel in the frig part.
Nat
Drags1998  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 3:17:56 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

Groups: Senior Expert

Is the fan in the REAR Rt. corner by the compressor running? If not,You need a fan motor AND a control board!!!!! You DON'T need a compressor!!! If it is running, The FROST pattern in the freezer is THIN and even, Then the defrost system should be OK, Whats the fresh food compt. temp? Should be 36-39 on the TOP shelf .:)
Bebike  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2008 6:45:55 AM(UTC)
Bebike

Thanks for the reply. Based upon the parts diagrams forthe MAFBS, they do look the same. After reaching temps and running a couple of days, it appears to be cycling normally. Temps have stayed consistent although still empty. Will keep an eye on it and check out board prices inthe meantime. Thanks and may you be blessed in your efforts.
Bebike  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2008 6:48:33 AM(UTC)
Bebike

The fan is working fine and has been cleaned along with the condensor coils. Frost pattern is good and even. Refridge side is good and fresh food compartment has always been on the near freezing side to begin with. Will monitor the boards and temps for sure - Thanks again.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply