Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rickmitch  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 11:19:00 AM(UTC)
Rickmitch

Groups: Registered

The two right side XLO burners on my 4 burner Thermador cooktop are not working. The ignitors(?) click and I see the arc but nothing happens. There appears to be no gas coming to the burners.

The cooktop model is SGCS304RS serial # 99100065

Any help is appreciated

Rick
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Servicer  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:19:55 PM(UTC)
Servicer

Groups: Senior Expert

Hello,
90% of the time I've seen this, it's the potentiometer. This part passes the voltage to the solenoid, which opens and lets gas to the burner. A circuit within the potentiometer opens up and, therefore, can not pass said voltage.

The potentiometer is sold as a kit, which includes both potentiometers and the simmer control. The part number is 497235.

KC
Rickmitch  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:53:18 PM(UTC)
Rickmitch

Hi KC,

Thank you so much for responding. Ok, so the chances are, I need a new potentiomer. The question I have is: since I have two burners that are not working, will I need to replace two poteniometers (one for each burner) or is there just one for the whole unit. The next question is if this is something I can replace myself or does it require a professional?

Thanks again,

Rick
Servicer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:53:29 AM(UTC)
Servicer

Quote:

since I have two burners that are not working, will I need to replace two poteniometers (one for each burner) or is there just one for the whole unit

Yes, you will need two potentiometers, which are both included with part number 497235.

Quote:
is something I can replace myself or does it require a professional?

It's not too hard to replace, providing the venturi tubes unscrew easily. These are the brass, hex-head tubes you see when the burner cap is removed.

Maintop Removal:

1) Unplug unit from power
2) Remove knobs, caps and grates
3) Using a 20mm or 13/16" socket, unscrew the venturi tubes and remove from burner bases.
4) Slowly raise the maintop about 8-10", then unplug wire from LED.
5) Unplug spark wires from igniters, making note of the wire locations.
6) Lift maintop and set to the side

Potentiometer replacement:

1) Left potentiometer (pot) off of valve shaft
2) Unplug wire harness from pot
3) Install new pot and reinstall wire harness

Simmer Control Replacement:
This is just a wire-per-wire replacement, meaning you'll take a wire off of the old simmer control and install it on the same terminal of the new simmer control. It's best not to remove all the wires at once unless you make a wire diagram noting their locations on the original simmer control.

Once everything is wired up and resecured, you'll reinstall the maintop the opposite as shown above.

Good Luck,
KC
amutz  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 11:34:54 AM(UTC)
amutz

I've got a very similar problem in my Thermador PRDS304 range - one of the two xlo burners stopped working (spark but no gas.) I verified it's the potentiometers by swapping them, and the front xlo burner now work while the rear does not.

Question: Can I fix by replacing just the potentiometer? Old part was AP2825521 and I believe the 'updated' part is Bosch AP3782975.

Or do I need to replace the potentiometers and simmer controllers as a unit? The potentiometer is under $20, while the 'kit' is over $150, so quite a cost difference.

Thanks in advance,
Andy
Servicer  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 1:37:16 PM(UTC)
Servicer

Hello,
From what I've been told, yes, you will need to do the kit. Apparently, the old simmer control is not compatible with the new potentiometers, hence the reason for the kit.

KC
amutz  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 11:17:43 AM(UTC)
amutz

I'm going to try anyway and will report back on results. Some users have had success using new pots with old controllers.
amutz  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:57:23 AM(UTC)
amutz

Originally Posted by: amutz Go to Quoted Post
I'm going to try anyway and will report back on results. Some users have had success using new pots with old controllers.

I've installed one new potentiometer, AP3782975, Bosch 422748, with the original controller and it's working both in 'simmer' and 'normal' use. The on/off timing is similar. I've put it on the more rarely used back burner, so I don't expect much 'endurance' information, but from a very basic 'does it work' perspective... the answer appears to be yes.
amutz  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:58:33 AM(UTC)
amutz

Originally Posted by: Servicer Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
From what I've been told, yes, you will need to do the kit. Apparently, the old simmer control is not compatible with the new potentiometers, hence the reason for the kit.

KC

Thanks for the response! Seemed worth a try even though the kit has been made available.
elgreeneyez  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2018 4:34:01 PM(UTC)
elgreeneyez

I bought a new Potentiometer for my range. Now it sounds like something is not engaged fully. I'm able to ignite my burners with a lighter. but, no arc is happening to ignite the burner on it's own. any help will be appreciated.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply