Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Little Whaler  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:35:29 AM(UTC)
Little Whaler

Groups: Registered

GE Cafe gas range, 2 years old. I have two problems that I'm baffled with. Oven will not maintain temperature. If set to 350, control beeps indicating temp is achieved, but external digital thermometer with thermocouples indicates 300-325. During baking when calling for heat temps drop down to 290 (by ext. thermo) before burner comes back on. Burners also sometimes come on and off several times within a minute or two, other times it may come on and stay. During test, oven set at 400, temps drop to below 300 before coming back on. Second problem is the oven just shuts off on its own (usually within the hour) just like you'd hit cancel on the control panel. This has been happening for a couple of months and at first we thought we were accidently hitting the panel, After testing and watching it closely, the control just shuts off the baking feature and the digital clock remains. No flickering or lose of time. It just shuts down, just like hitting the cancel button. Any suggestions?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Tallbill  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:10:15 PM(UTC)
Tallbill

I have problem similar to prior thread
CGS980SEM1SS GE Cafe gas range Mfg 2008. Oven shuts off after approximately 30 min @ 450 deg F. All control panel functions cease to work, except clock stays on and top burners and piezzo igniters still work. Anyone know why? Solution: Unplug it and re- plug it and everything works again. However, you have to be there to watch for when it shuts off, and have to muscle the range out to get at the plug.
Also, the control knobs on the front are all melted on the bottom from escaping oven heat. The knobs may look like Stainless stell, but they're plastic.
GE has failed to respond to "Contact Us" on their website, and letter to GE Consumer Relations PO Box 1780 Rapid City, SD 57709.

Anyone know how to cure these ?
GE, please bring good things to life !
Little Whaler  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:00:40 AM(UTC)
Little Whaler

Tallbill
What I finally discovered on my own (no help from GE, thank you) was this. Oven shutting off while baking was happening because of a safety feature apparently built into the control. The temperature sensor located in the oven (top left back probe held by two screws) was sending incorrect signals to the control. I replaced the sensor and checked the temperatures with a digital thermometer with thermocouples. The offset (what GE calls calibration) had to be reset to 0 degrees. Since then, no problem. Control is within 0-5 degrees of actual temperatures and does not shut down any longer. Word of caution... the sensor (probe) has a wire with a connector on it about 6-8 inces inside the back wall of the oven. You will need to pull the oven out, remove the sheet metal panel to access this connector. The hole in the oven cabinet is just big enough for the connector to go through (tight). While you have the oven out, check all your connections that they are tight (unplug first of course). Also, when my oven shut down the control continued to look and work just fine. All you had to do was restart the oven (if you knew it shut down). You situation, as you stated, the control cease to function so this may or may not be the same issue. My guess (and that's all it is) is that the oven is overheating like mine did and shutting down the control even though the control says it isn't that high (maybe that's why the plastic knobs are melting). I found somewhere that there is a safety built in, that kicks in when you hit 500 F or somewhere around that. I hope this helps.
Tallbill  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:26:46 AM(UTC)
Tallbill

Little Whaler
Thanks for the reply. Since a re-boot makes the panel work, I suspected the problem was a safety sensor shutting off the panel. Thanks for confirming what and where it is.
As for High temp melting the control knobs...I've checked temp and found it to be low.
Thanks
sagandcap  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 6:14:21 AM(UTC)
sagandcap

I have the same issues as you
CGS980SEM1SS GE Cafe gas range which is 2 yrs 2 mths old. Oven shuts off after 5 mins, 10 mins, 20 mins...and at any temperature. All control panel functions cease to work, and most of the times the stove beeps and the oven light comes one. The burners stay working etc. One other thing is the fan never comes on at any temp while it is running. The computer board was just replaced yesterday. Only Solution: Unplug it and re- plug it and everything works again. Fan comes on immediatly. However, it can still fail again and again, and by the 3rd time the oven will stay on and work.
Please please please help me. @1st time it happened was when the stove was 1 yr and 11 days old.
What should I do next?
sagandcap  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 6:15:04 AM(UTC)
sagandcap

Originally Posted by: Tallbill Go to Quoted Post
Little Whaler
Thanks for the reply. Since a re-boot makes the panel work, I suspected the problem was a safety sensor shutting off the panel. Thanks for confirming what and where it is.
As for High temp melting the control knobs...I've checked temp and found it to be low.
Thanks

Did you get the problem fixed? please help I have the same issue
Little Whaler  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 6:23:32 AM(UTC)
Little Whaler

Sagandcap

Like I had told Tallbill, my control panel continued to work when the oven shut down. (Also, remember that the burners are completely separate from your oven control and operation. So they will continue to work.) I'm not a pro, but just someone who is determined to try and fix my problems, especially when you can't get any help from GE. When I contacted them they didn't have a clue. I would suggest the same to you as with Tallbill, replace the temperature sensor (see reply to Tallbill). It doesn't cost that much (under $50). Also refer to your manual to reset your offset (what GE calls a calibration) to 0 degrees, assuming that the new sensor is correct and take it from there. Hope this helps and good luck.
sagandcap  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 8:17:26 AM(UTC)
sagandcap

Do you think I could replace it myself? Where would I go to buy that sensor? How do I find that part #? The manual? was it hard to do? or should I get a pro in? teh cost to get someone in would ne 75 service fee and about 60 for 30 mins.
sagandcap  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 9:19:33 AM(UTC)
sagandcap

One more problem. My fan just isn;t coming on ever. Not until you unplug the stove and plug it in again. Any ideas? It wasn;t the computer cause that was just replaced and I still have 100% the same problem.
The oven gets so hot it LOC's cause the fan is not coming on.
Could the temp sensor fix it? Does that regulate the fan?
Little Whaler  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 11:06:35 AM(UTC)
Little Whaler

Sagandcap,

If I understand the operation, the temperature sensor tells the computer several things. It controls the operating temperature while baking. It should also tell the control, when or how long the fan should run. It also controls the safety feature of the oven. If an oven gets to higher temperatures (I think over 500 F) it tells the oven to shut down to prevent a fire. Appliance Parts Pros can provide the temperature sensor to you. (See my preivous notes to Tallbill for where it is located and how to replace). I would especially check the connections on the back of the oven. Connections come loose due to heat, vibrations and many other things. (make sure you unplug the oven first.) The part no. I had was
WB20K10015, if you can't find it on the web site call them with your model number. Mkae sure you tell them it is the oven temperature sensor, NOT THE TEMPERATURE PROBE (which is used for meats).
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply