Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fredricawilliams@hotmail.  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:05:41 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

My Husband Can Not Remove The Old Element, Because One Of The Screws Is Stuck. Originally, The Old Element Caught On Fire And About Two Inches Of The Element Was Burned Through. The Other Screw On The Right Side Was Not Burned, And It Came Out Easily. I Am Not Sure If The Screw Melted And Maybe That Is Why He Could Not Remove It. Because He Can Not Remove The Screw, Is The Reason Why He Has Not Installed The New Element. The New Element Does Not Come With New Screws, So He Needs To Maintain The Screw Inorder To Install. The Head Of The Screw Is Square And Is Not A Phillips Head Type.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

tundrarules  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:18:27 AM(UTC)
tundrarules

Clip wire, take old element and new element to local hardware (ACE if you have one)...they will help you match up new screw.
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:12:27 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: tundrarules Go to Quoted Post
Clip wire, take old element and new element to local hardware (ACE if you have one)...they will help you match up new screw.

Well the problem is that the screw is frozen in the oven and will not come out. Could you tell me how to remove a frozen screw.
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:31:10 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Try a little penetrating oil on it. Use as little as you can as it is flammable and stinks. If it is a spray can, spray some into the lid and then apply that to the screw. Let is soak in for a couple hours.

Instead of using an even pressure try twisting the screw driver with a jerking motion. If that does nothing do it clockwise and then counter-clockwise.

Get a small cold chisel and make an indent in the upper half of the screw head. Then use this and the chisel to tap it in correct direction. You just have to move it a bit and then it will come out with a screwdriver.

If the head is stripped try grabbing it with a set of vice grips. Usually though it will just slip off. You have to use the vice grips parallel with the oven back so their teeth can grab the head.

If the head is stripped use a dremel and cut a slot in the head and use a flat driver to remove the screw.

Cut the head off with a dremel and then use pliers to remove the screw shaft. Try to leave as much shaft as possible as you need something to grab onto to get the shaft out.

Could use a screw extractor (just Google it). I am not a big fan of these for small screws because if it breaks off you now have a seized screw with hardened steel in the middle.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:48:32 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Try a little penetrating oil on it. Use as little as you can as it is flammable and stinks. If it is a spray can, spray some into the lid and then apply that to the screw. Let is soak in for a couple hours.

Instead of using an even pressure try twisting the screw driver with a jerking motion. If that does nothing do it clockwise and then counter-clockwise.

Get a small cold chisel and make an indent in the upper half of the screw head. Then use this and the chisel to tap it in correct direction. You just have to move it a bit and then it will come out with a screwdriver.

If the head is stripped try grabbing it with a set of vice grips. Usually though it will just slip off. You have to use the vice grips parallel with the oven back so their teeth can grab the head.

If the head is stripped use a dremel and cut a slot in the head and use a flat driver to remove the screw.

Cut the head off with a dremel and then use pliers to remove the screw shaft. Try to leave as much shaft as possible as you need something to grab onto to get the shaft out.

Could use a screw extractor (just Google it). I am not a big fan of these for small screws because if it breaks off you now have a seized screw with hardened steel in the middle.

Thank you for your help. Could you tell me where to go to purchase this penetrating oil?
walterfc99  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2011 5:37:40 AM(UTC)
walterfc99

Originally Posted by: fredricawilliams@hotmail. Go to Quoted Post
My Husband Can Not Remove The Old Element, Because One Of The Screws Is Stuck. Originally, The Old Element Caught On Fire And About Two Inches Of The Element Was Burned Through. The Other Screw On The Right Side Was Not Burned, And It Came Out Easily. I Am Not Sure If The Screw Melted And Maybe That Is Why He Could Not Remove It. Because He Can Not Remove The Screw, Is The Reason Why He Has Not Installed The New Element. The New Element Does Not Come With New Screws, So He Needs To Maintain The Screw Inorder To Install. The Head Of The Screw Is Square And Is Not A Phillips Head Type.

The threads on the screw that will not come off are stripped. It has not melted. It is probably a 1/4 inch nut driver head. You will need to figure out how to pull on it while at the same time turn it so that it will come off. The remaining hole might be bigger but you can just use a slightly thicker screw to hold the new element in place. Hope this helps
denman  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2011 6:42:10 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Could you tell me where to go to purchase this penetrating oil?[/COLOR]
Any hardware or automotive supply store should have it.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!