Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RickMondo  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2008 12:28:32 PM(UTC)
RickMondo

Groups: Registered

Gas dryer - Since flame didn't ignite after 1st time, I replaced the gas coils. The flame now ignites and cycles, but temp still not hot enough. I tested continuity on thermostats and there is continuity. Should my next move be to replace the cycle thermostat? There are 4 prongs on mine, not 2 as shown in parts replacement pictures. Any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2008 3:00:51 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Rick,

The first thing I would check is the exhaust line including the vent outlet and the air ducts inside the dryer.

Gene.
RickMondo  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2008 8:05:13 PM(UTC)
RickMondo

I did all that .... disconnected dryer from vent, the inside of dryer is totally clean, strong air flow but doesn't maintain temp. The flame was not re-igniting after the first time, so I replaced the coils. Now the flame ignites and re-ignites, as it should. The dryer doesn't get hot enough to dry anything. I tested the continuity in the thermostats and all seemed OK. My 135 thermostat has two sets of prongs, one set has continuity but the other set doesn't and I don't know what this second set of wires does. The replacement part picture only shows one set of prongs to connect wires. Should this be the next part replaced assuming the replacement part sent is the same as the one its replacing (unlike the part picture shows)? Should I replace the 180 thermostat (safety? --- it tests OK for continuity and is more expensive)?

Thanks for any help.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 1:11:38 PM(UTC)
Gene

How long the flame stays "on" after it reignites?

Disconnect the vent hose from the dryer and measure the temperature at the dryer vent outlet while it's heating.

Post the results.

Gene.
RickMondo  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 3:12:55 PM(UTC)
RickMondo

After glow, flame starts in 7 seconds. Flame initially on for 4 minutes, but after reignite, flame on for 1.5 to 2 minutes then goes out for 1 minute and this cycle repeats. Temperature is very warm but not hot with flame on and gets colder when flame off until cycle (sorry, no thermometer). I think the temp doesn't get hot enough and doesn't stay hot long enough during the cycle. If it is the control thermostat, please address the issue of the replacement part not appearing to be the same as the original (ie, 2 sets of prongs and only one on the replacement). Thanks.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 3:22:31 PM(UTC)
Gene

Rick,

We really need to measure the temperature. You can use any thermometer with the range between 50°F and 200°F, even a meat probe thermometer.

If the temperature goes up above 130°F and down till about 100°F then there is nothing wrong with the dryer and the problem is somewhere else.

Gene.
RickMondo  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:57:58 AM(UTC)
RickMondo

I'll get a thermometer today.

Back to my second post. My control thermostat has two sets of leads: set on left/right and top/bottom. The left/right pair show continuity, but the top/bottom pair doesn't. Should both sets have continuity, or is one set open while the other is closed?
Gene  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 1:07:15 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: RickMondo Go to Quoted Post
...The left/right pair show continuity, but the top/bottom pair doesn't...

This is normal.

Gene.
kathywkatz  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:46:34 AM(UTC)
kathywkatz

Whirlpool dryer was working. Gas was cut off at house and reconnected by gas company. Dryer turns on but does not heat up. Was working before. Had plumber over and he said there was no pilot light. The dryer has an intermittent type ignitor. Does that mean I need to replace this part
Gene  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:39:25 PM(UTC)
Gene

Kathy,

In order to provide most accurate advise we need the complete model number of the dryer. You can find it on the door frame.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply