Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fionmay  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:57:42 AM(UTC)
fionmay

Groups: Registered

My issue is with a Jenn-Air side by side refrigerator, model # JCD2389DTW, almost 10 years old. We first noticed the food inside the freezer starts thawing, and we have seen it before, we know it is the Adaptive Defrost Assy when we saw the frost built up on the coil at the back wall inside the freezer. We replaced the Defrost Assy and see the frost started to dissipate, but it didn’t fix the problem. Next we tied the clicking noise that we have been hearing for a couple days before the freezer issue start to realize we probably have a faulty relay, we replaced the Relay & Overload kit, 3 days after we have been hearing the clicking noise, the clicking noise stopped as soon as we plug the refrigerator back in.

It has been a day and half since we replaced the relay kit, both the evaporator (freezer) and condenser (compressor) fans are running, the compressor is warm to the touch. Both the freezer and refrigerator sides started to have improvements but some issues still persist. At the coldest setting for both freezer and refrigerator, freezer is only cold while refrigerator is only cool to the touch.

I don’t know what is next, any guidance you can provide is very much appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 23, 2011 5:33:05 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Remove the cover in the freezer so you can see the coils.
If the coils are evenly covered with frost then perhaps you just have not waited long enough.

By the sound of it you will not have a fairly even frost pattern.
If the frost is just in one area (usually where the freon enters the coils) then odds are that you are low on freon.
Note: Be sure that the unit has run at least 2 hours without a defrost cycle when checking.

If it is low freon then it will be an expensive repair as you need a pro,
Also there is no use adding freon unless the leak is found and fixed so there is no guarantee that a pro will be able to fix it.

Usually it makes more sense to take those dollars and invest them into a new unit.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
fionmay  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 23, 2011 5:28:57 PM(UTC)
fionmay

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Remove the cover in the freezer so you can see the coils.
If the coils are evenly covered with frost then perhaps you just have not waited long enough.

By the sound of it you will not have a fairly even frost pattern.
If the frost is just in one area (usually where the freon enters the coils) then odds are that you are low on freon.
Note: Be sure that the unit has run at least 2 hours without a defrost cycle when checking.

If it is low freon then it will be an expensive repair as you need a pro,
Also there is no use adding freon unless the leak is found and fixed so there is no guarantee that a pro will be able to fix it.

Usually it makes more sense to take those dollars and invest them into a new unit.

Thanks Denman for your reply. That’s what I was afraid of, if it’s a Freon issue… But a piece of good news, the coils are considerably evenly covered, only exception is the most bottom 2 inches closest to the defrost heating which remains frost free. Also After I read through some of the advices in this forum, I have gone back and adjusted the temperatures for both freezer and refrigerator back to the middle to allow for better airflow to the refrigerator side. It has been another day after I adjusted the temperature, the temperatures are now 38F degrees for refrigerator but 15F for the freezer side. I believe the 38F is acceptable for the 15F is not cold enough.

This is an improvement, but any other suggestion is certainly welcomed. Thanks in advance.
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 4:24:04 AM(UTC)
denman

Is the compressor cycling?

If yes, try turning the freezer temp setting colder to see if you can get it down to 0 to 5 degrees F.

If no it may be the best the unit can do in which case you are probably low on freon.

I would first check the doors seals, check that the condenser/compressor coils are clean and that the fan is running correctly and it's fan blades are clean.

If then it still is not reaching set point low freon is the probable cause.
fionmay  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:27:18 AM(UTC)
fionmay

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Is the compressor cycling?

If yes, try turning the freezer temp setting colder to see if you can get it down to 0 to 5 degrees F.

If no it may be the best the unit can do in which case you are probably low on freon.

I would first check the doors seals, check that the condenser/compressor coils are clean and that the fan is running correctly and it's fan blades are clean.

If then it still is not reaching set point low freon is the probable cause.

Thanks for your rely. I turned the freezer temp a notch colder and now the freezer is at 0 degrees F while maintaining the refrigerator side at 38F, I will keep monitoring that, same as keeping the coils and fan blades clean.

I was not certain the meaning when you asked if the compressor is cycling. The compressor is continuously running, the only time it stops is when the defrost timer kicks in, which is for about 30 minutes, then it restarts. I can hear the Relay kit clicked then the compressor & condenser fan starts, is this what you have expected?

Lastly, I can see myself shopping for a new refrigerator the next time it breaks down, in your professional experience, which type of frigerator(s) is more repair-prone than others? I.e. Side-by-Side, Bottom freezer, etc?

Thanks again for your time and advices.
denman  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:39:20 AM(UTC)
denman

The simpler the better.

Units with electronic temperature control seem to have more problems.
Just take a look at the number of GE's that have blown circuit boards.