Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gramparon  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:16:24 PM(UTC)
gramparon

Groups: Registered

My daughter's dryer is running very hot. The clothes are extremely hot. Last year the heating element and thermostat were replaced. Any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:09:41 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are the parts
Replacement parts for WED9470WL models | AppliancePartsPros.com

First I would check the vent system for a partial plug.
Undo the dryer from the exhaust
Run a load
If the load dries correctly then you have a vent problem.
Clean/check the vent system. Make sure the outside louvers open fully.

If you do not want lint in the house.
Take a pair of pantyhose, put one leg into the other and attach this to the dryer exhaust.
Leave enough room behind the dryer so it can blow out like a windsock.
Run a load.

Both the above will allow you to check the air flow and temp.

Next I would check for a grounded heating element.
Check the heating coil.
Unplug the unit and both wires to the coil.
Check it with a meter, should be around 10 to 12 ohms.
Then check from each side of the coil to the case/frame, both should be infinite ohms (open). If not the coil may have sagged or broken and is touching the case. This can cause it to run on high and the thermostats cannot regulate it.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
kayakcrzy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:10:36 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

This dryer tends to be lousy on getting rid if the lint. It always has been. I would check the vent to the outside. A good test is to take the vent off the back of the dryer, and turn the dryer on for a minute, and see how hard the air comes out. Then hook the vent hose up to the dryer, and go out side and compare the way the air felt in the inside to the outside. It should feel just about the same. If not, you need to clean the vent out. If you have an electric leaf blower, it will do the trick. From the inside, blow to the outside. If you feel that it is fine, then the problem will be the thermister located on vent tube. The way to get to that is, to take the front off, by getting a putty knife, and sliding it just above the bottom panel, on the right, about 5 inches from the end, and it will release the tab. Do the same on the other side, and then remove the front. Make sure you start this process, with the dryer unplugged. Then, once the front is off, I want you to open the door of the dryer, and remove the lint filter. Then close the dryer door. I want you to take of the lint filter housing, where the lint filter goes in. This is real easy. There is one 1/4 inch screw on the left side of the black vent housing, and one on the right. On some models there is one in bottom, middle. Once you remove those screws, you will then remove the vent housing, and clean it out too. Just behind the vent housing is the thermister. There are 2 parts there. It is the one on the right. The part # is 8577274. The thermister is the sensor for the operating temperatures of the dryer. Both of these issues are very common problems, I repair all the time Tom Appliance Educator, Appliance Parts, Washer and Dryer Parts, Refridgerator and Freezer Parts, Stove and Oven Parts
gramparon  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:46:51 PM(UTC)
gramparon

Thank's for the feedback kayakcrzy. She had a blocked vent last year that caused problems but said it was clean this time. She has a PVC vent pipe running through concrete for about 25 feet. My experience with PVC has been moisture causing the lint to stick like glue to the pipe walls.
gramparon  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:40:53 PM(UTC)
gramparon

Thanks for your advice denman as well. It's folks like you that make this a great forum.
kayakcrzy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:09:36 PM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Glad to help!!! Tom ApplianceEducator.com
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply