Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gene  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 4:24:51 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Deborah,

The new electronic clock/timer (part number WB19X10006, APP item number AP2633678) designed by GE as a replacement for the old analog clock/timer WB19X5231. If the new clock is wired properly then it should do everything what the old clock did. Also there could be problems with alignment holes on the glass panel.

You have to choose if you are going to leave it as is, to do it yourself or to call a qualified tech to do it for you.

Gene.
rs6er  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:16:31 PM(UTC)
rs6er

Groups: Registered

Hi-
I'm new and found this forum through of a search I did because the timer on my JKP36D is shot. Since I have the same problem, I have 2 questions. My local repairman told me there is a place that rebuilds and sells rebuilds of the original mechanical timer. He said that many people find the replacement electronic timer difficult to use. He also said that rewiring is complicated. Since he quoted me $315 for a new one or $302 for a rebuilt one, I am interested in doing this myself. I am fairly handy (I have replaced a dishwasher motor).

Any idea where I can get a rebuilt? Should I bother or just go with the electronic replacement? If I go with the replacement is it difficult to wire or use. If I get the original rebuilt, is it possible to use the ovens without a timer in the meantime?

Thanks for your help.
John
Gene  
#23 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2008 10:38:18 AM(UTC)
Gene

Hi John,

I do not have any information regarding companies who does rebuilt analog clocks but you probably can find one over the Internet.

The electronic replacement timer comes with the instillation instructions and if you can read wiring diagrams then you probably can install them.

The model number you posted is incomplete. If you need help with the right part number for the replacement timer then we need the complete model number of the oven.

Gene.
Keith C  
#24 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2009 7:14:02 AM(UTC)
Keith C

I know this thread is kind of old, but I'm glad to have found it because I need to replace my "dead" clock as well. This looks like a very doable project, but in looking at my existing clock, it doesn't look like the existing small timer knobs will fit through the glass holes. How do they come off? Do the black knobs come off of the silver posts, or do the silver posts come out of the existing clock assembly?
Thanks in advance for your response, Keith.
Gene  
#25 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2009 1:34:40 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Keith,

What is the complete model number of the oven?

Gene.
Keith C  
#26 Posted : Saturday, February 14, 2009 4:50:36 AM(UTC)
Keith C

Gene, sorry for the delay in my reply, thank you for your help. The model number of the oven is RK74G0T2BG, the brand is Hotpoint.

I'm attaching a camera phone photo of the clock/timer in it's perpetual right-twice-a-day state.

I had been originally chatting with the "store" part of appliancepartspros.com, and they directed me to this link as the correct replacment part:

Part Details - GE Timer, part number: AP2633678

which started me down the trail of research and to this discussion thread.

Thanks again for your help.

- Keith
Keith C attached the following image(s):
SSPX0107b.jpg
Gene  
#27 Posted : Saturday, February 14, 2009 5:59:53 PM(UTC)
Gene

Keith,

GE had replaced the old analog timer, used in your oven, with the new digital timer with the part number AP2633678.

You do not have to use the old knobs because the new timer comes with the set of new buttons instead of knobs. You can see them on the pictures if you click on the part number.

The new digital timer needs rewiring, but if you will carefully follow the instructions included in the kit, you can do it.

Gene.
Keith C  
#28 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:32:47 AM(UTC)
Keith C

Thank you Gene, there are a couple of things I am still wondering about though.

First, do you know how I would remove the small knobs from the existing clock? They do not look like they would fit through the glass panel, but I can't tell if the black knob comes off of the silver post, or if the silver post comes out of the clock assembly. I thinking through how to disassemble the existing clock, even though as you note I won't need to re-use the old knobs.

Also, on the web page for the replacement part, there is this note: "Please note per GE: Jumper Wire For Phase 2&3 Of Self Clean Must Be Made By Tech In Field "y" Wire. " It looks like there are several wires included with the new clock, but do you know if there is a "jumper wire" that has to be custom made?

Thanks, Keith
Gene  
#29 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2009 2:56:40 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: Keith C Go to Quoted Post
...how I would remove the small knobs from the existing clock? They do not look like they would fit through the glass panel, but I can't tell if the black knob comes off of the silver post, or if the silver post comes out of the clock assembly...

...I thinking through how to disassemble the existing clock, even though as you note I won't need to re-use the old knobs...

...It looks like there are several wires included with the new clock, but do you know if there is a "jumper wire" that has to be custom made?...

Keith,

Just pull the old knobs out. They will come off of the silver posts which are actually a part of the clock. Knobs could be stuck, so be careful not to break the glass.

In order to remove the control panel you have to remove all knobs, the knob from the door latch handle, unscrew the ring at the latch release button, remove the screws on the top and on the bottom of the control panel and pull the control panel out. Do not remove any wire until you read the installation instructions and understand what has to be done. Draw a picture of wires connection for yourself, so you'll be able to undo it at any time.

Don't think about the new timer installation until you'll receive the kit and read the instructions. If you know how to read a simple wiring diagrams then it's not going to be very difficult.

Gene.
Keith C  
#30 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:23:50 PM(UTC)
Keith C

Excellent -- thanks Gene, I'm going to give this a try. - Keith