Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tlandis  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 2:51:04 PM(UTC)
tlandis

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Profile Microwave/Convection built in. It recently began giving me the error "PROBE" on the display within a few seconds of trying to cook with convection, either by itself or combination cook, and also if I try to "sensor" cook. (Auto reheat, popcorn etc). The microwave works great in normal microwave time settings, it only occurs with convection or sensor cooking, and within 5 or so seconds. All with no temp probe installed!

I have had the unit out, and temp probe receptacle appears OK. I have unplugged receptacle from the board, and it ohms open unless the probe is installed, and then it reads approx 48,000 ohms which seems normal at 75 deg F. Again, I never use the probe, and these functions previously worked fine.

I did the gas/humidity sensor self test, and it read 124 which is right in the middle of the normal range.

Right next to the probe receptacle is a thermocouple looking item with two wires going to a plug that goes to the board where it is joined by two other wires and the plug is labled I believe as "sensor"

What else could it be, and how do I test/troubleshoot. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

tlandis  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 10:29:59 AM(UTC)
tlandis

Anybody????
libertyappl  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:07:37 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

Your best bet is to locate the wiring diagram and see if it shows a diagnostic test to run. Also review the diagram and fallow the wires to the probe socket to see if that can interfer with the operation.
Not much help I know but haven't seen one of these in our area.
Nat
tlandis  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:37:34 PM(UTC)
tlandis

Thanks Nat, Two things:
1) There's not much for troubleshooting with the unit, and I really wonder what the thermocouple looking device is right next to the probe socket? is it a temp probe for convection? Could it be a cause?

2) I note you are from MO and your name is Libertyapp. You wouldn't by chance be in Liberty, MO would you? I grew up there.

Thanks for the help.
libertyappl  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 2:55:29 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

The part beside the probe is the thermostat, it is possible the thermostat isn't functioning, although we don't work very many of these around here. I would lean more to the control board myself. I will ask Randy, my main tech (& husband) when he gets back in from service calls this evening. I admit I pick his brain a lot when I'm uncertain.
To answer your other question, no we aren't in Liberty, MO we are in south central MO, we use Liberty Appl because it has a special meaning for us and our school teams are called Liberty.
We have 3 teens in sports....lol
Nat
tlandis  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:39:49 AM(UTC)
tlandis

Thanks Nat, I'll look forward to Randy's reply. I missed your sig saying S. Central Mo! I did Google it later, and see where you are. Closer to Springfield where I went to school. (25 yrs ago!) Thanks again for your help. I hope the thermostat can cause the "probe" error. It looks much easier to change than the "Smart Board". Thanks again!
libertyappl  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:02:36 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

Ok, Randy says to look down inside the probe plug for anything. It sounds like a short in the probe(which basically is the thermal coupler) if somethng is lodged in the hole it could be shorting out. Without looking at the unit himself he said that's where he would check. I havn't ben able to pull up a wiring diagram as at the present time we don't have access to the GE tech site(we don't do warranty work for them).
If you can post or email your tech sheet.
Nat
tlandis  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:06:31 PM(UTC)
tlandis

Hi Nat, I had the unit out, it is a built in, and I unplugged the probe receptacle from the board, and ohm'd the two connection tangs on the back of the probe receptacle. It ohm'd open, as I believe it should, with no probe plugged in. I then plugged in the probe, and the recept ohm'd 48k, which looks normal at 75 deg F. ??????

Hopefully that info helps.

Thanks again,

Tim
libertyappl  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:58:13 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

I read over your manual and the probe error means the probe has somehow shorted out. I can't see the wiring diagram but there has to be a shorted wire connected to the probe somewhere. Since I can't see what you are looking at, I use the manuals and such.
Did you see any loose or exposed wires near the probe?
tlandis  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:47:06 PM(UTC)
tlandis

Thanks Nat, When I ohm'd the recept with and w/out the probe, I unplugged it from the board, and so I was ohming the wires and connector at the same time,so if there is a short, it is on the board. The troubleshooting chart in the papers inside the unit cover show that "Probe" in the display is temp probe, receptacle, gas sensor, or smart board. Since the temp probe and receptacle check good, and the self test for the gas sensor reads 124, I am thinking board. I guess my last ditch effort is to find out if the thermostat/permanent temp probe next to the receptacle, could cause the error. As I understand it, the removeable temp probe is only used when cooking to a temperature, but the convection has always worked without it in place for timed cooking, and now it doesn't work either way, so could it be that other thermocouple type probe.

I do really appreciate your time and advice!!!

Thanks,

Tim