Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stuartsinger  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:55:07 PM(UTC)
stuartsinger

Groups: Registered

I have a kitchenaid KAWS750GQ1 washer which began making loud groaning noises during the first 10 seconds or so of the spin cycle. The noise will completely vanish after the 10 or so seconds. Functionally the machine has no issues. It has had very light use even though it is 10 years old now.

I paid $50 for a repairman to perform diagnostics. I watched him take the machine apart. The tech said the machine shows little sign of wear and tear, not suprising since only one person has been using it. He showed me that the noise is the transmission and quoted me $350. I said no. I am a handy person and I believe I can do this myself with a little help. From this site I see that it appears my transmission is part # AP3096209. My washer is model KAWS750GQ1. Looks like the manual I need is at https://secured.whirlpoo...2007475cb/$FILE/L-55.pdf

Are there are any other parts I would need to order? If I am going to do this I want to do it right. I saw a mention of basket drive # AP2905773. I dont know how to tell if I need that too. When the tech took the machine apart I took a picture of the transmission. Here is a link to it. Perhaps this may help. Kitchen-aid  KAWS750GQ1

Thanks!

Stuart
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:06:33 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would pull off the outer shell of the washer, remove the pump and motor and turn the tranny coupler clockwise till the tub turns. If there is a internal problem in the tranny, you should be able to feel it.
stuartsinger  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 4:32:59 AM(UTC)
stuartsinger

The repairman I had hired had the tranny out and confirmed the noise is in the transmission so at this point my plan is to replace it. I'm just hoping there are no other parts I Need to order. Also I have never attempted a rrepair on a washing machine so any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 12:43:38 PM(UTC)
richappy

You probably have a partially stripped nylon gear in the tranny. They do sell this along with the mating gear. Will look that part # up if you want to proceed taking the tranny apart.
Also, be aware that dragging brake shoes will sometimes cause this problem. If the coupler is hard to turn clockwise with the tranny installed, you have bad brake shoes.
stuartsinger  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:55:02 PM(UTC)
stuartsinger

I can only report that the repairman said the clutch and brake were fine. He showed me with the drum off the tranny was quiet. When he put a little pressure on the shaftt, the tranny would make lots of noise. I would like to order the whole transmission. I"m hoping I can figure out how to do it with the little information provided in the manual mentioned above in this thread. I guess I will just order the gear case for now and hope nothing else is wrong. As I mentioned this machine has had well below average use as it was just one person using it for most of its life.
richappy  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 5, 2008 12:35:15 AM(UTC)
richappy

I would check the motor current draw in spin. If well over 9.5 amp with a empty basket, you have dragging brake shoes.