Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gt400  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 7, 2008 9:21:35 PM(UTC)
gt400

Groups: Registered

Kenmore top load washer. Runs for about 10 seconds, stops for 5 - 10 minutes, runs again for about 10 seconds and stops and repeats this process. It did this for awhile and now it does not come on. Thought it could be overheating or a timer issue. Read in another blog that someone with the same model has the exact same problem. They said they replaced the timer and it did not solve the problem. They said they then replaced a "Washer Action" button and that fixed the problem. Unfortunately I can find no listing of a Washer Action button in the spare parts catalog for that model washer. Does anyone know the problem and the correct name and part number of the part needed to fix the problem? Is this part replaceable by the average mechanically inclined person?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

v2k04  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 8, 2008 3:02:44 AM(UTC)
v2k04

Groups: Senior Expert

In your case it sounds like the timer is bad Does it fill with water? or is it totally dead?
gt400  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 8, 2008 8:47:04 AM(UTC)
gt400

Now I cannot get it to run long enough to drain the water. It would fill it no problem. Again it would agitate for about 10 seconds then stop. Initially every 5 to 10 minutes or so it would start back up but now it does not do that. As mentioned in my initial post someone else with the same problem on another blog mentioned they replaced the timer and that did not fix it. They then said they replaced this Washer Action button and that did fix it but I cannot find any such part listed. I tried contacting the person on the other blog for clarification to no avail. Any suggestion?
v2k04  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 8, 2008 9:44:52 AM(UTC)
v2k04

your machine doesn't have a speed selector switch you have three possibilties of what it could be, a timer, a motor, or the wiring
gt400  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 8:16:42 AM(UTC)
gt400

It appears to be the speed/agitation selector switch for the Wash Action as it is labeled on the control panel.
Sprocket21  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2008 10:56:34 AM(UTC)
Sprocket21

I am having the same problem with the same model. In my case I believe that the motor is overheating and tripping some kind of thermal fuse which resets once it has cooled down. The motor does not appear to be binding but I suspect there is something causing it to work harder than it should. I will try and let you knpw if I determine something.
richappy  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 1:15:02 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Pull the motor out and run the washer. Does the motor still drop out?
stumpedstill  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 2, 2011 4:36:10 PM(UTC)
stumpedstill

It all started when it would try to spin before the water had drained, I decided to let it develope. Then clutch burned up, so I replaced the clutch and wondered if it was a timer problem. I put it all together and the motor generally just hums in all cycles, but sometimes it will agitate or spin for about 2 minutes (the motor is getting hot). I checked the start capacitor...o.k. Checked the motor resistance...o.k. checked the centrifical switch...o.k. There is no binding of the basket, locking of the gearbox or pump restriction I removed the motor plugged it in cycled the dial...same response. I tore the timer apart, filed the contacts, reassembled...SAME THING !!!
richappy  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 3, 2011 3:41:13 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You probably have big problems. Sticking brake shoes burned out the motor and/or timer. Hard to diagnose without an amp probe. Normally, I would just replace the motor with a good used one to see if that's the only problem.Be aware, a shorted motor will draw way over 30 amps and warp and blow out timer contacts, so I would not replace the timer without verifying the motor is still good. You also could check with this site on return policy, might try a new motor, but you must solve your other mechanical problems first, either something stuck in the tub, or bad brake shoes.
You can go to my sticky, "replacing direct drive washer brake shoes" for info on this.
stumpedstill  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 3, 2011 7:01:02 AM(UTC)
stumpedstill

I tried another motor with same results, I have not checked the replcement motor yet, but whats the chances of 2 motors responding the same? I get different reactions when I fiddle with the dial and the motors don't get hot so fast sometimes. No brake issues,pump turns freely,removed basket, no issues there either.