Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
noiceman  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:21:30 AM(UTC)
noiceman

Groups: Registered

Hi all,
trying to find some light at end of tunnel on this one.
Basement flooded with roughly 12 inches of water as result of city storm sewer back up.Furnace was fried and needed to be replaced, Dryer was toast though lasted a month and a half before motor quit.
Now comes the chest freezer. Did not pull plugs from power outlets on any appliances so they were powered when hit with water.Emptied it out maybe a day after water subsided and food products inside were still frozen and it was quite cold. Assumed freezer to still be functional. Misc items were stacked on top of freezer for month and half or so and light was on front of chest freezer indicating power, so i assumed it was ok.
Working on claim and to restore area of freezer yesterday, opened up freezer to make sure it was ok. Found it to be at basement temperature inside though temp setting was at coldest setting.
removed inspection panel on bottom right side to view electrical/compressor. Light indicates power to appliance, and compressor is warm to touch, indicating something is working sort of. Corrosion present on electrical contacts of module attached to compressor.
My question is whether this thing is worth repairing or toss it? It is in great condition asie from being submerged, and maybe 4 years old. Compressor P/N is GVT44AD. I am wondering if the electrical module on side can be the culprit, and if I should disassemble and attempt to clean or replace that part. The whole compressor replacement would require cutting the copper lines, then i assume capturing and restoring the refridgerant, which is beyond my capabilities right now.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

lsergent  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 8:45:41 AM(UTC)
lsergent

We just had the same issue. Our basement had about 8" of water and our Kenmore chest freezer doesn't seem to be working. The inside light works and the orange power light works, but the actual freezer does not. I am not sure if it is worth trying to get repaired.
noiceman  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:16:10 PM(UTC)
noiceman

been away from site for a bit. had unplugged unit for a couple months til i had time to look at it. Relay and overload protector were corroded. Tried to clean but still did not work properly. Tested the Start, Common and Run terminals on the compressor, found that the numbers were favorable for the compressor still being good. Replaced the relay, overload and capacitor with a combination unit(Supco RC0410 3 N 1 Start). plugged it in and it went down to like 20 F, and seemed to not want to stop chilling. So, unplugged it as i think the thermostat is shot now also.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:37:25 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You both can try spraying the cold control with a non-residue cleaning spray available at Radio shack. Just spry in the seems of the control and move the knob back and forth while cleaning.
Warning, I would never use a 3 n 1 hard start device, will make the compressor fail without warning. These devices are only good for older compressors that draw over 2 amp.
For the compressor start devices, just order the factory specified part available at this sites part section.
lsergent  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 5:36:25 AM(UTC)
lsergent

After doing much research about flooded appliances, we decided to trash our chest freezer. Even if you can get it fixed, they say the appliance has more of a chance of being a fire hazard. After that flood, we won't take our chances! Not worth the headache of saving up to $400 for a new one. Thanks anyway!