Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
joek59  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 17, 2010 1:08:33 PM(UTC)
joek59

Groups: Registered

Hi, hopefully this is straightforward to someone experienced. I purchased a new timer for the whirlpool dryer, started installing it wire by wire in 2's. so as not to mess up, and was left with this error. There is a black wire that comes with the timer with 2 black leads already connected passing through the timer mechanism. One of the black leads goes to part of a triad (3 posts) which also hold 2 blue wires.
Here's my problem: when i disconnected the two BLUE leads and the black one on the one corner of the OLD timer, I thought i remembered the black one being installed BETWEEN the two blue ones. When I looked at the new timer, it has the black lead for that triad on the corner end, which would leave the two blue leads right next to each other...one in the middle and one on the right.

If you can picture this, the outer two of the three posts run parallel, and the middle one perpendicular. I remembered the black one being the middle/perpendicular one, but as I went to attach, it seems the NEW timer has the black one on the leftmost end.

I didn't dare leave this to chance---it may only malfunction if I'm wrong on a cycle, but it might also blow the timer---I'm no electrician!!

Anybody out there who might be able to help me figure this out, either via a wiring diagram they have, or common sense on which posts the blue leads would attach to? I tried reading the Whirpool diagram on the control panel but it does not specify EVERY wire like this, only the BLUE SECTION.

I thought I did a decent job learning how to troubleshoot with a meter, and found it was not the thermal fuse or start switch that kept it from turning on, but a likely burnt contact in the timer. But then I screw up on a simple wire!!!

Thanks for your help, its FRI and my wife threatens to go buy a new $1200 dryer if this is not in operation tonight!!!

helpless in dayton OH
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.