Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ed Maher  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2010 9:32:47 AM(UTC)
Ed Maher

Groups: Registered

:eek: Found broken drive gear. What caused it? I would press Start it would start to compress and then make noice. I had to press OFF ,then, ON, to retract ram?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Ed Maher  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2010 9:56:33 AM(UTC)
Ed Maher

:confused:
Originally Posted by: Ed Maher Go to Quoted Post
:eek: Found broken drive gear. What caused it? I would press Start it would start to compress and then make noice. I had to press OFF ,then, ON, to retract ram?
Gene  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2010 1:09:43 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Very likely the problem is a broken power nuts (#12 on the diagram). Also the power screws (#2) have to be lubricated.

You have to remove the ram assembly to access the power nuts. When replacing the ram assembly in the compactor, tape the switch arm of the top limit/directional switch. This will prevent damage to the switch arm as the ram is reinstalled. Remove the tape after the ram is in place.

The chain has to be adjusted after you replaced the drive gear. It should be 3/8" (9.5mm) to 1/2" (12.7mm) deflection between any 2 sprockets.

- The power nut kit (2 needed) Part number: AP2984036
WhirlpoolSucks  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 6, 2011 6:30:53 AM(UTC)
WhirlpoolSucks

The key reason that the "Driven Gear" breaks is poor design. There is nothing to contains the expansion forces that are applied to the inner hub of this gear by the interface to the hex connection to the drive sprocket. If you regularly use this as a compactor - by that I mean you hear the motor loading because it is really doing some work - then this gear will last about a long as a snowball in hell. The other components may be fine.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply