Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mitcheal  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2008 4:51:34 PM(UTC)
mitcheal

Groups: Registered

Compactor has two modes, normal and extra pack. Usually you turn the dial, let go and the ram does it's thing. now, in normal pack, i have to hold the dial to get it to go down and up. in extra pack, i turn the dial and let go as normal and everything is great. normally to get the ram back up after an extra pack, you hit the normal button and it comes up. now, i hit the button and nothing. i have to turn the dial and hold it until the ram is up. i think it's the dial, but it could be the buttons. any ideas?

thanks,
mitch.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:58:17 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Mitch,

Check the top limit switch, the normal & extra pack switch and the motor centrifugal switch as described in the tech sheets. Post the results.

Gene.
mitcheal  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 3:43:49 PM(UTC)
mitcheal

Gene, i'm mechanically inclined, not really electronically. I took a look at the tech sheets and got confused. Any pointers?

We just had a baby, so money is tight. we might have to live with hloding the dial for a month or two.. will that cause any more issues?

thanks,
mitch.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:07:14 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Mitch,

The worst thing could happen is burned motor and nobody knows how soon it can be. In that case you are looking about $170 (if you'll do it yourself).

Gene.
lionelflyer  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2010 9:10:18 AM(UTC)
lionelflyer

I am having the same problem as Michael. I replaced the limiter switch as it is the cheapest part. However, the problem still persists. I've checked the tech sheet but can't really understand the diagram.

I did pull out the 9871821 extra-pack/normal pack switch and put an OHM meter on it. When in extra pack mode, I have a reading between the lug for the orange wire and the lug for the orange/black wire. There is no reading between orange & yellow or orange/black & yellow. When I throw the switch to normal pack, I get no readings on the OHM meter between any of the lugs. Does this mean that the switch is broken in normal pack mode? That is what it would seem like to me but without the ability to read the wiring diagram, it could also mean nothing. I don't mind replacing the switch, but at $85 or so, I'd like to be at least reasonable certain that this is the problem. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

LionelFlyer