Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sabaron  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 6:32:01 PM(UTC)
sabaron

Groups: Registered

I have a GE GSS25SGMFBS Side By Side refrigerator freezer that is not cooling. This same problem happened about 3 months ago. Both the fridge and freezer warm. Everything defrosted. Last time I unplugged the unit and let it sit overnight. I plugged it in the next morning and everything worked fine again. Now again this morning both the fridge and freezer were warm and everything was defrosted. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to fridges. I can tell you though that the fan works but only blows slightly cooler than room temp air. I took off the back panel and checked the compressor. It was cool to the touch. There was no frost on anything, nor were any of the parts hot to the touch. Any ideas on why this is happening or what can be done to fix this? Also, if it is something which I need to call a serviceman, can you give me an idea on what I should say or expect so I don't get ripped off. If you can suggest an honest repairman in Michigan (Metro Detroit area), I would appreciate it. I have it unplugged in the hopes that I will be lucky again and it will work when I plug it in again in the morning, but I am not feeling too confident. I would like to get to the bottom of this so it doesn't happen again in the future.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abadfish66  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 7:35:29 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

Definatly sounds like the compressor relay on the board has a bad solder connection. to verify, you can pull the refer away from the wall, and remove the access cover on the back, behind that cover is a control board. you can remove the control board and on the back side you will most likely see a burn mark behind the biggest relay on the board. usually you can just resolder this and it will be fine, or you will need to replace the board.
sabaron  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:23:59 PM(UTC)
sabaron

abadfish66, you definitely know your stuff. You were spot on with your advice. I took off the back panel of the fridge. I removed the control board and sure enough there was a burn mark behind the relay. I tried to re-solder the post, but no luck. I could not get the solder to adhere to the post. So, I picked up a new control board, and voila, all is good. Thank you so much for your help.
repairgarcia  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:41:21 PM(UTC)
repairgarcia

You have been a member since:: 8/12/2008(UTC)

I'm having the same problem as Sabaron but the compressor was kind of warm (the line coming out was cool). Checked the control board and has no burn mark behind the relay. Any ideas big man? Model GSS20IEPD
abadfish66  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:09:28 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Repairgarcia, how about a serial#, and abit more description about your problem.
repairgarcia  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:31:55 AM(UTC)
repairgarcia

abadfish66, the serial# is GG231332. It's a side by side GE refrigerator. Both the fridge and freezer are warm. The fan is running. Compressor is warm to the touch and the line going out of is cool. control is on 7. Unplugged the unit, reset the breaker, etc.. no luck.
repairgarcia  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:33:07 AM(UTC)
repairgarcia

temperature controls for both fridge and freezer are on 7. thanks
abadfish66  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:59:52 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Do you have a buildup of frost on the back wall of the freezer?
repairgarcia  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:50:59 AM(UTC)
repairgarcia

Yes, there is a build of frost in the back of the freezer.
repairgarcia  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:54:08 AM(UTC)
repairgarcia

to be exact, in there lower back of the freezer, about 1/2 in thick.