Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
daveoman  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2007 8:19:45 PM(UTC)
daveoman

Groups: Registered

I ordered a replacement control module and it came with some nice instructions. The first step is loosening the main top. Well, 3 of the venturi tubes screwed out but the left front WILL NOT come out. Of course, now it's stripped beyond repair (and I've ordered a new one.) Any ideas about how to get it out?

Thanks.

-- Dave
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

daveoman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:58:56 PM(UTC)
daveoman

For everyone else's benefit:
- I got the other venturi tube off using a spiral bolt extractor. You need a big one, but it worked like a charm (after putting a little liquid wrench in there.)
- You need a 20mm socket for that silly thing.
- If you order a replacement ect, you have to take the top off. This is accomplished by taking the venturi tubes out first. You then have all the access you need.
- The rest is a piece of cake!
DerekJ  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 10:29:50 AM(UTC)
DerekJ

I had my display on my Thermador GSC30CV stop working. I could access the display and assumed that was the problem; however, the problem appears to be the power relay board. (I checked the voltage output at the display.) This appears to be located under the cook top and over the oven. How do I get to it? I appears to need a special tool to loosen the gas burners from the top, but I can't locate the tool. Any help would be appreciated.
Rowbum82  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:19:15 AM(UTC)
Rowbum82

Originally Posted by: DerekJ Go to Quoted Post
I had my display on my Thermador GSC30CV stop working. I could access the display and assumed that was the problem; however, the problem appears to be the power relay board. (I checked the voltage output at the display.) This appears to be located under the cook top and over the oven. How do I get to it? I appears to need a special tool to loosen the gas burners from the top, but I can't locate the tool. Any help would be appreciated.

My clock/timer display on my Thermador GSC30CV range has worked intermittently for years. It mostly goes off when the oven is hot, but other times as well. I found through trial and error that if I close the oven door hard, it usually comes on. Sometimes for just a short time and I have to do it repeatedly. I've wanted to repair it but I've only found one place with the replacement part and it's $486, and I've never been certain that the display itself is the problem. Given that heat causes it to cut out, sounds like I may have the same issue as you described with the power relay board. Where did you find that part? Did you ever get advice on the right tool to loosen the burners?
Bats  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2008 7:32:32 AM(UTC)
Bats

Originally Posted by: Rowbum82 Go to Quoted Post
My clock/timer display on my Thermador GSC30CV range has worked intermittently for years. It mostly goes off when the oven is hot, but other times as well. I found through trial and error that if I close the oven door hard, it usually comes on. Sometimes for just a short time and I have to do it repeatedly. I've wanted to repair it but I've only found one place with the replacement part and it's $486, and I've never been certain that the display itself is the problem. Given that heat causes it to cut out, sounds like I may have the same issue as you described with the power relay board. Where did you find that part? Did you ever get advice on the right tool to loosen the burners?

I'm still trying to get the front panel off. Do I have to lift off the whole range top to get access to the 2-3" wide control panel that runs across the whole front of the range, above the oven?

My problem is intermittent failure of oven control; I'm hoping a good cleaning of the harness will fix it. All suggestions welcome. :confused:
egizzi  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2008 4:44:58 PM(UTC)
egizzi

I wanted to second Daveoman's experience. Two of my venturi burners were frozen. I tried everything, including a propane blowtorch followed by ice. I bought one of those "gator-grips" after stripping the bolt heads but I couldn't budge the thing. Finally I went to my local tool lending library and borrowed a spiral screw extractor. There is no size indicator on it, but it is big. You want the first part of the extractor to enter the hole in the bolt and descend a little before it catches on the inside of the bolt as the extractor widens. I then took a vise-grip and twisted it clockwise. After several turns, I had to switch to an adjustable crescent wrench and after a couple of counter-clockwise tugs, voila, the bolt was loose.

Some suggestions:

1) Buy replacement o-rings for all the burners. Yours are probably dried and cracked like mine were

2) I put some Inox Lubricant on the Venturi Burner threads before I put them back on. Whether that makes a difference the next time I have to open the stove up, I don't know.

3) To get the screw extractor out of the bolt, I put base of the screw extractor in a large vise, and took my deep 20 mm socket and turned counter clockwise and the bolt separated from the extractor

Now my display is so bright, I have to wear sunglasses.

-E
jfralin@mac.com  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2014 11:25:43 AM(UTC)
jfralin@mac.com

Originally Posted by: daveoman Go to Quoted Post
For everyone else's benefit:
- I got the other venturi tube off using a spiral bolt extractor. You need a big one, but it worked like a charm (after putting a little liquid wrench in there.)
- You need a 20mm socket for that silly thing.
- If you order a replacement ect, you have to take the top off. This is accomplished by taking the venturi tubes out first. You then have all the access you need.
- The rest is a piece of cake!

Q?: How much force did you use with the Easy Out; like just turning it, tapping it, using some extension leverage, or maybe a hammer?

I've also found the venturi bolts impossible to extract - FROZEN. I've tried WD-40 and using the reverse thread Easy Out... to no avail. I did get the venturi bolt to turn, freely, but I also managed to break the cast iron bracket below the top that holds the gas line to the burner. Do you think using a torch and ice made a difference?
daveoman  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2014 6:40:35 AM(UTC)
daveoman

Easy Out force? I let that thing sit in the liquid wrench overnight. After that, I did tap with a hammer, but nothing too much. Let that stuff do the work for you.

Torch and ice? That's a lot of effort on those things. I'd be afraid of warping things. The liquid wrench should work, or maybe some of that PB Blaster stuff sitting overnight. After that, the torch and ice methods might be your only way to go.
jfralin@mac.com  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2014 7:01:44 AM(UTC)
jfralin@mac.com

Thanks for your reply. I've used the PB Blaster, amazing stuff. It has sat overnight as you suggested. But meanwhile I've managed to get my largest Easy Out stuck in the first venturi, the one I broke the underneath bracket on. So there it sits, stuck in the venturi and the nut below just turning with no way to grip the nut.

Would you know of anything thin and strong enough to use as a wrench below the cook top? I suppose I'll have to wade through forums to find a local tech with a knowledge of thermador and a tool to reach it.
daveoman  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2014 12:29:33 PM(UTC)
daveoman

Originally Posted by: jfralin@mac.com Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for your reply. I've used the PB Blaster, amazing stuff. It has sat overnight as you suggested. But meanwhile I've managed to get my largest Easy Out stuck in the first venturi, the one I broke the underneath bracket on. So there it sits, stuck in the venturi and the nut below just turning with no way to grip the nut.

Would you know of anything thin and strong enough to use as a wrench below the cook top? I suppose I'll have to wade through forums to find a local tech with a knowledge of thermador and a tool to reach it.

Holy cow...you're probably ready to throw the entire thing into a landfill.

Try an auto parts store. They've got some crazy wrenches in there. Also that harbor freight place has some obscure sets. Not much individual stuff, but if you look in the sets, sometimes you'll find things.

Good luck.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply