Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nfusmani  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:13:25 AM(UTC)
nfusmani

Groups: Registered

My dryer stopped heating up about a month ago. Checked the element which was burnt. Replaced the element with identical part. worked for 15 minutes and stoped heating again. Checked.. element was good.. .thermal cut off was burned. Replaced it with a new one, burnt again. Cleaned ducts thoroghly. Replaced thermal cut off. Ran couple of loads and Bunrt again.withing 15 days.. :(.. Dont know what to do now. Now about to change the cut off again but before I do it, any advise or anything else which I should do. Shall I replace both the items in thermal kit, because i have been changing only thermal cut off.. 3977393 (309F) Shall i change it with 352F. I am not a pro.. just learned couple of things by looking at other people working.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:56:39 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nfusmani Go to Quoted Post
...Replaced the element with identical part...

...Shall I replace both the items in thermal kit, because i have been changing only thermal cut off...

What did you mean? What is the part number of the new heating element?

Whirlpool specifically included the high limit thermostat in this kit what means you have to replace BOTH parts.

- The thermal cut-off kit Part number: AP3094244
reliable bud  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:36:11 PM(UTC)
reliable bud

the thermal cut out only blows if the high limit thermostat fails YES ALWAYS REPLACE BOTH IN THE KIT but that is not the problem it is a symptom of the problem the cut out started blowing when you replaced the element ohm the element to ground make sure part of the element isnt shorting to ground the heat from the element isnt leaving the element canister so be sure the canister is mounted properly the blower sucks the heat from the element so make sure it isnt sucking air from a poor seal or improperly installed element
nfusmani  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 11:49:20 PM(UTC)
nfusmani

Element part no. 3403585 .. this is no. 17 in the breakdown diagram. It looks alright as far as the mounting is concerned. now i bought a new kit which has cutoff (352F) and the other piece has (L248-80F) written on it. Can i use these parts or have to order the other one (307F). The cutoff will go at no. 9 in the breakdown diagram. Where would the other piece go. At no. 15 in breakdown diagram?? and how to connect wires as it looks different than the one already installed.
richappy  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 1:53:51 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Check your cycling thermostat on the blower housing, probably bad/shorted. Test in an oven to see if it opens above the temperature written on it.
reliable bud  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 6:51:53 AM(UTC)
reliable bud

yes the L248 goes at #15 as far as wiring -- there should be instruct with the kit but the wire that came with the kit goes on the L248 - small terminal on the t-stat big term on the element -- you say you bought a new kit and mention temperatures -- I dont know what temp t-stats go with which models so as long as you replace t-stats and cutoffs with the parts for your model then you'lll be ok (safe) -- if you're replacing your 307 deg with a 352 deg because you dont want it to blow again you're playing with fire... literally!! there are 13,000 - 15,000 house fires a year caused by dryers that is why the factory puts in the cutoff!! if you can't find the cause of the cut off blowing it is cheaper to call a professional than it is to recover from a burned down house the operating t-stat could be the cause but the operating thermal fuse will usually blow when that t-stat goes bad you say the element looks alright but did you check it to ground with an ohm meter if the element is shorted to ground it will stay on even after the op t-stat is supposed to shut it off you can get a cheap ohm meter from harbor freight ($2-$5) or I think even Sears has on for $10
nfusmani  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:41:34 AM(UTC)
nfusmani

Thanks Reliable bud. I am ordering the exact part (309F) and i have bought a cheap ohmmeter ($5). Will follow your instructions when i put that in. Can element be tested for grounding when not in operation, i mean when it is mounted but dryer is OFF.
Gene  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 3:56:17 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nfusmani Go to Quoted Post
...Can element be tested for grounding when not in operation, i mean when it is mounted but dryer is OFF...

Yes, it can. Unplug the dryer. Remove the heating element leads. Set the ohmmeter on the highest possible scale. Touch one lead to the heating element body (clean point of contact) and other probe to each heat element terminal. If reading is obtained, the heating element is grounded.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply