Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FrankMueller  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2008 1:30:56 PM(UTC)
FrankMueller

Groups: Registered

Have always burned wood, but must be getting old and/or lazy.A dded on a room at the end of the house, and thinking about either a pellet stove or a propane one. Like the "flick of a switch" with the propane, especially since the wife and kids will be using the room mostly.Would appreciate any comments or input.Thanks, Frank
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 1:56:35 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I believe wood pellets are much cheaper than propane. Check with a store that sells both.
bringselpup  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2008 3:56:24 PM(UTC)
bringselpup

Groups: Registered

Where we live power is a factor. We have a propane log that uses no power to run. Pellet stoves need juice for the auger. It's saved us twice so far in less than a year.
Hearthman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:31:05 PM(UTC)
Hearthman

Groups: Expert

Each has strengths and weaknesses.

Pellet stoves are primarily for heat but most do look nice. I have a Quadrafire Castile insert. It heated my 3 story house from March to Thanksgiving using 37 bags and I live in Philly. Daily maintenance simply scrape out firepot with putty knife provided and refill pellets in hopper. Weekly, pull lever to empty firepot into provided ashpan. Annually, thorough cleaning of baffles and venting. Pellets currently about $350/ ton, which should last about 1-2 months for most people. Needs minimal clearances to combustibles. Flexible venting. Awesome heaters. Run off T'stat or remote T'stat. Takes about 20 min. to heat up. Can run unattended as a zone or supplemental heater. About $3-5K installed.

LP is quick and convenient. Can operate off simple low voltage switch, T'stat, or remote (basic or T'stat). Can turn flame down. Realistic logs and embers. Optional convection fan. Flexible direct venting and close clearances increase possible locations and applications. Caution with LP leaks and cost of LP. Listed as a vented room heater so use for zone or supplemental heat.

Check out Fireplaces: Fireplaces.com for gas fireplaces, electric fireplaces, wood fireplaces and stoves! to compare. I strongly recommend an NFI Certified Tech to install either.
HTH,
Hearthman