Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark_in_Seattle  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 12:05:47 PM(UTC)
Mark_in_Seattle

Groups: Registered

I have a basic electric Westinghouse self-cleaning oven with a 4-burner stovetop. It's 35 years old roughly.

It's no longer working properly because when you turn it on, it goes to the max temperature and stays there no matter what you set the temperature to. I suspect the thermostat.

I wrote down the model number (above), but I cannot find that model number anywhere on the internet, so I'm stumped as to how I go about getting a replacement thermostat.

By the way, the oven started doing this after doing a self-cleaning cycle, so it behaves as if it's stuck in the cleaning cycle. Not sure if that helps with diagnosis, but I just thought that I would add it. I tried to cycle it through self-cleaning again to see if it would become un-stuck, but that didn't work.

Any information or advice is greatly appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 5:35:25 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mark_in_Seattle Go to Quoted Post
I have a basic electric Westinghouse self-cleaning oven with a 4-burner stovetop. It's 35 years old roughly.

It's no longer working properly because when you turn it on, it goes to the max temperature and stays there no matter what you set the temperature to. I suspect the thermostat.

I wrote down the model number (above), but I cannot find that model number anywhere on the internet, so I'm stumped as to how I go about getting a replacement thermostat.

By the way, the oven started doing this after doing a self-cleaning cycle, so it behaves as if it's stuck in the cleaning cycle. Not sure if that helps with diagnosis, but I just thought that I would add it. I tried to cycle it through self-cleaning again to see if it would become un-stuck, but that didn't work.

Any information or advice is greatly appreciated!

Your model number is no good. I can find ones that start with KF52 but no KF53. You might want to check it very carefully with a very strong flashlight. Sometimes you even have to use a scotch-bright pad on them.

I would say your thermostat is bad. Its contacts are welded together inside. But without a correct model no. there isn't much we can do.
Mark_in_Seattle  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 7:45:07 AM(UTC)
Mark_in_Seattle

My wife swears she wrote it down right and double-checked it. I guess the old saying, "if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself," applies here too!

I'll take another look in a few days and be sure to get it right. Thanks for your reply.
Mark_in_Seattle  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2010 5:54:30 PM(UTC)
Mark_in_Seattle

OK, here's a photo of my tag with the model number:

UserPostedImage

Looks like my wife had the model number correct after all. But according to the web site that model number doesn't exist!

Anyone have any ideas what my options are? Do I have a super valuable oven since the model number is not known to exists? (lol)
Mark_in_Seattle  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:26:18 PM(UTC)
Mark_in_Seattle

Anyone have any ideas what I can do with a model number that appears not to exist?
ThatGuy  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 1:23:24 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I was thinking the other day and I remembered that I have some books that go back to the 70's. So I dug them out and found model no. KFS535DDW1

The thermostat for that model is Q999212354, unfortunately they have been discontinued. Sorry.