Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Flora  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 11:51:55 AM(UTC)
Flora

Groups: Registered

My kitchen has a 24 year old built in SubZero that is not keeping cold. Is it too old to have repaired? To replace it would be a disaster because it has wood panels that match the cabinets. Those panels would not fit the new models - not to mention the cost of replacement. :(

Flo
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:09:07 PM(UTC)
applianceman

I am not an expert on Sub Zero but give us your model number and some details as to what it is doing.

This refrigerator would be very expensive to replace if you go with something similar. You are talking 5,000-6,000 dollar range. So repairing it is the way to go even if you have to call in a repairman. I sold one built in GE model with the wood doors and the cabinet man charged $1000 to make the wood panels. Unless of course you want a new one don’t let me stand in your way.

On most Sub Zeros like you are talking about have two compressors. This means that the fresh food and the freezer are two separate systems. So we will need details as to which side isn’t cooling. Also check to see if the fans are running. I don’t think there is one in the fresh food section but there is one on top near the compressors and there is one in the freezer. There is a chance there is on in the fresh food section but I will need a model number to be sure.
Flora  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 13, 2010 5:01:32 AM(UTC)
Flora

The model number is 550. The refrigerator is on top, freezer on bottom. I have no problem with calling a repairman, but am curious if parts are even available for an appliance this old.
applianceman  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 13, 2010 5:43:57 AM(UTC)
applianceman

I was able to look it up and most of the parts were discontinued; however most of the common parts are available. There is a chance that the part you need is discontinued but the parts that commonly fail are available for the most part.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply