Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bird  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:14:56 PM(UTC)
bird

Groups: Registered

I need help, because I'm trying to remove limescale, hard water build up from my Maytag Dishwasher. I want to remove the top and bottom spray arms, but can't figure out how. I've looked in my manuals and called the company, not help from either place. I would appreciate any help I could get. Thanks:confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:56:49 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Bird,

Remove the lower spray arm by unscrewing the cap (#34 on the break down diagram). Remove the filter guard (#36 on the break down diagram) and the cover (#4 on the break down diagram). Remove the pump housing filter (#6 on the break down diagram) and the rinse arm assembly (#7 on the break down diagram).

Soak all affected parts in white vinegar and brush them, using a soft metal brush.

I do not recommend to remove the upper spray arm - you can damage the retainer.

Assemble it back. Start the regular wash cycle. After the dishwasher filled with water open the door and pour a gallon of white vinegar in and do not restart the cycle for about 12 hours.

Restart the dishwasher and finish the cycle.

Here are the break down diagrams for the Maytag dishwasher Model MDB5000AWB

Gene.
bird  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:52:14 PM(UTC)
bird

Thanks, Gene.
I will give that a try.
napochan  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:53:33 AM(UTC)
napochan

Gene is correct to warn about removing the upper spray arm. This is due to the retainer clip not really being designed for removal. However, I found you can carefully remove the snap outlet nut above the arm and this allows you to avoid damaging the clip. Access to the nut is a bit awkward, as you're working upside down. Take your time and don't force it.
In my case, the upper arm wasn't as clogged as the lower arm but it was enough so to warrant cleaning.

I've attached a couple of pictures of the retainer clip so you can better understand why it's hard to remove. I didn't find the standard parts drawings detailed enough so I thought others may benefit from these views. http://sdrv.ms/ZKLKaZ and http://sdrv.ms/ZKLEQI
[IMG]http://sdrv.ms/ZKLKaZ[/IMG]
[IMG]http://sdrv.ms/ZKLEQI[/IMG]

Good luck.

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Hi Bird,

Remove the lower spray arm by unscrewing the cap (#34 on the break down diagram). Remove the filter guard (#36 on the break down diagram) and the cover (#4 on the break down diagram). Remove the pump housing filter (#6 on the break down diagram) and the rinse arm assembly (#7 on the break down diagram).

Soak all affected parts in white vinegar and brush them, using a soft metal brush.

I do not recommend to remove the upper spray arm - you can damage the retainer.

Assemble it back. Start the regular wash cycle. After the dishwasher filled with water open the door and pour a gallon of white vinegar in and do not restart the cycle for about 12 hours.

Restart the dishwasher and finish the cycle.

Here are the break down diagrams for the Maytag dishwasher Model MDB5000AWB

Gene.
Mikeynolan  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2015 10:45:41 AM(UTC)
Mikeynolan

On mine, to remove the upper arm, you want to unscrew #32 from the ceiling of the dishwasher (see the diagram posted by Gene). Then the whole arm comes off. Then you can gently push the prongs together on #31 from the other side and remove it so you can flush out the inside. If you just pull on #31 with pliers or something, you will almost certainly break it. The arm gets filled with bits of crud and plastic, cleaning it out helped a lot.