Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rjzzz  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2010 3:57:02 AM(UTC)
rjzzz

Groups: Registered

The defrost cycle is not working. I have replaced the defrost timer, Bi-metal and heating element. The element tests fine and if connected directly to current heats correctly, the bi-metal tests fine (replaced anyway). When the timer (replaced) is advanced to "click" to start the defrost cycle the heating element never gets power. What should I try next?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2010 6:21:51 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rjzzz Go to Quoted Post
The defrost cycle is not working. I have replaced the defrost timer, Bi-metal and heating element. The element tests fine and if connected directly to current heats correctly, the bi-metal tests fine (replaced anyway). When the timer (replaced) is advanced to "click" to start the defrost cycle the heating element never gets power. What should I try next?

Are you checking for voltage into the bi metal thermostat with the timer in a defrost cycle ?

The bimetal switch has got to be a closed circuit(below 35 degrees f.on average) in order to pass the voltage into the heaters.

No voltage would indicate a mis wired defrost timer and or broken or loose wire in the harness. Are you sure you properly wired the new timer,in some cases with a repalcement kit you need to switch wiring at the timer, did you follow the instructions?

I think this will get you on the way.
rjzzz  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2010 2:41:46 PM(UTC)
rjzzz

Checked the timer and it seems to be wired correctly. The thermostat is getting power and is the circuit is closed when it's cold and open when warm. The heating element is getting power in the defrost cycle but doesn't seem to heat up (I connected the heating element directly to an outlet and it works correctly, seems strange that the wiring is not heating it up). The fan in the freezer compartment does not shut off when the defrost cycle starts (I've read that this should turn off when the defrost cycle begins) . Could there be a short in the wiring somewhere?
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:37:33 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Checked the timer and it seems to be wired correctly. The thermostat is getting power and is the circuit is closed when it's cold and open when warm. The heating element is getting power in the defrost cycle but doesn't seem to heat up (I connected the heating element directly to an outlet and it works correctly, seems strange that the wiring is not heating it up). The fan in the freezer compartment does not shut off when the defrost cycle starts (I've read that this should turn off when the defrost cycle begins) . Could there be a short in the wiring somewhere?

Yes,

You've probably got a short or loose connection in the wiring harness,
(hopefully in the harness in the freezer compartment).

You said, you have voltage at the thermostat and heater,what is the voltage ?

And yes, everything should shut down in the defrost cycle, except the defrost heater, as long as the thermostat is closed.

Like I said, I hope the problem is in the harness in the freezer compartment, not in the cabinet/liner.

Good luck,
:) :) :)
rjzzz  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 8:46:26 AM(UTC)
rjzzz

When I advance the defrost timer to the defrost "click" the compressor and lower fan shut off. The evaporator fan in the freezer does NOT turn off. The defrost thermostat passes the current through (and after warming up opens the circuit). The defrost heater receives 117v (and does NOT appear to melt any frost?, if I hard wire it to an outlet it works fine), Could the defrost timer (which seems to be wired correctly according to the schematic) be causing the problem of is there another place that I should be looking? Since all of the parts are working I'm sure there is some sort of simple (although not apparent) solution to this.
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 10:41:28 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

When I advance the defrost timer to the defrost "click" the compressor and lower fan shut off. The evaporator fan in the freezer does NOT turn off. The defrost thermostat passes the current through (and after warming up opens the circuit). The defrost heater receives 117v (and does NOT appear to melt any frost?, if I hard wire it to an outlet it works fine), Could the defrost timer (which seems to be wired correctly according to the schematic) be causing the problem of is there another place that I should be looking? Since all of the parts are working I'm sure there is some sort of simple (although not apparent) solution to this.

When your refrigerator is in a defrost cycle, everything, but the heater should be off, and only until the freezer temp. drops below 35 dgrs. then the fan would start and run until the next defrost cycle, or untill the cold control reaches the selected temperature and opens.

Other than the fan running, everything is working proper,per your description.

I would start at the defrost timer, you may have a bad internal contact, allowing just enough voltage to the evaporator motor to make it run, But , I would have to suspect a short in the wiring harness, to be honest with you.

Check the voltage at the fan motor when the unit is in a defrost cycle, and let me know. Please.
:confused: :confused: :confused:
rjzzz  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 11:28:04 AM(UTC)
rjzzz

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
When your refrigerator is in a defrost cycle, everything, but the heater should be off, and only until the freezer temp. drops below 35 dgrs. then the fan would start and run until the next defrost cycle, or untill the cold control reaches the selected temperature and opens.

Other than the fan running, everything is working proper,per your description.

I would start at the defrost timer, you may have a bad internal contact, allowing just enough voltage to the evaporator motor to make it run, But , I would have to suspect a short in the wiring harness, to be honest with you.

Check the voltage at the fan motor when the unit is in a defrost cycle, and let me know. Please.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

The defrost heater gets 121v and the fan has 117v
rjzzz  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 12:22:51 PM(UTC)
rjzzz

Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 1:17:33 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

With that information,

I'm sure we've got a timer or wiring problem, they should both have the same voltage, but at different times.

Most likely a wiring problem, I'd expect the compressor to be running when the evaporator fan runs,they're on the same defrost timer circuit.

Unless the defrost thermostat is stuck closed(but it works properly, by your explanation).Or you have a crossed or shorted wire somewhere in the harness.