Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tdmbulk  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:45:27 PM(UTC)
tdmbulk

Groups: Registered

The dryer will make a low buzz when the starter button is pressed, but it does not spin. I was not there, but apparently the dryer was functioning normally, then all of a sudden got much louder. Upon inspection, the drum wasn't spinning, and the air and drum were hotter than normal.

I opened up the beast, shop-vacuumed the lint bunnies away, and examined the insides. The belt appears to be integral, with no splits or fraying. I can pull the belt one-handed to spin the drum, so it appears that the belt and rollers are at least functioning, albeit not functioning optimally after 15 years of laundry rolling through.

When the button is pushed, I do not feel nor see any attempt to move the belt, just a buzzing noise. Bearings in the motor could be shot, I suppose.

I would consider replacing parts such as the motor, belts, rollers, etc., but don't want to put a couple hundred into this dinosaur; would rather get a new one and hope to live long enough to take the energy savings into the black.

Anybody have any more advanced ways of checking the belts, rollers, etc., or is the fact that I can manually spin the drum with the belt sufficient to rule those parts out?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.