Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mshilko  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2007 6:56:34 PM(UTC)
mshilko

Groups: Registered

I have a whirlpool side-by-side, and the last year or so the middle frame between the freezer and fridge is hot to the touch. This is the location where the inside of the door seal meets the frame. Should I be worried? The fridge and Freezer are both working fine, the middle area is just hot. Not just a little warn but hot. I would guess around 100 degrees. I just measured it with a meat thermometer and is it 102 between the door seal and the unit. Any help would be appreciated. The heat seems to be along then entire center divider and not very isolated.

Mike
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Admin / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2007 7:36:22 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Groups:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Mike,

I'm guessing it's been a while since the condenser coils have been cleaned. I'd check that first. Condenser coils are at the bottom and accessible through the front (remove the kick panel) or the back of the fridge.

You can try using a vacuum cleaner or this condenser brush: WHIRLPOOL Refrigerator condenser cleaning brush.

Breakdown diagrams (condenser is number 3 on the diagram): Model ED25QFXHW01.

Let me know what you find.
mshilko  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2007 10:37:41 AM(UTC)
mshilko

Thanks for the info. I found out after posting that this is normal, andit did cool down after cleaning. The coils weren't that bad, but I went ahead and cleaned them anyways. Thanks again.
Admin / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2007 11:57:38 AM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Groups:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well, it's normal for it to be warm, but if it's hot to the touch, it usually indicates that the condenser coils need cleaning.

Post again if you have another question. Welcome to the forum.
dbdeline  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:32:33 PM(UTC)
dbdeline

I found this thread after performing a search late this evening after arriving home and finding the frame between the freezer and the fridge was extremely hot to the touch. Thank you! We checked our coils and they were filthy... Thanks again for the tip.
JOEHVACTECH  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:30:09 PM(UTC)
JOEHVACTECH

Originally Posted by: mshilko Go to Quoted Post
I have a whirlpool side-by-side, and the last year or so the middle frame between the freezer and fridge is hot to the touch. This is the location where the inside of the door seal meets the frame. Should I be worried? The fridge and Freezer are both working fine, the middle area is just hot. Not just a little warn but hot. I would guess around 100 degrees. I just measured it with a meat thermometer and is it 102 between the door seal and the unit. Any help would be appreciated. The heat seems to be along then entire center divider and not very isolated.

Mike

Cleaning coils is very important. It gets hot because the refrigeration system is working non-stop trying to cool your unit and it can't remove the heat because the coils are dirty.

Also check to be sure that you don't have a faulty door seal. This could allow a small amount of your cooled air to escape and cause the system to run more often and longer than necessary.
JOEHVACTECH  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:38:03 PM(UTC)
JOEHVACTECH

Originally Posted by: dbdeline Go to Quoted Post
I found this thread after performing a search late this evening after arriving home and finding the frame between the freezer and the fridge was extremely hot to the touch. Thank you! We checked our coils and they were filthy... Thanks again for the tip.

Oops! I meant to reply to you not the original Thread starter. Check out my post.
spkalb0930  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 8:58:45 AM(UTC)
spkalb0930

have a whirlpool side-by-side, and the l middle frame between the freezer and fridge is hot to the touch. This is the location where the inside of the door seal meets the frame. The inside temperature is 40 degrees after moving dial from 3 to 4.
Gene  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 12:53:46 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators
Views messages in topic : 27,455

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: spkalb0930 Go to Quoted Post
have a whirlpool side-by-side, and the l middle frame between the freezer and fridge is hot to the touch. This is the location where the inside of the door seal meets the frame. The inside temperature is 40 degrees after moving dial from 3 to 4.

The first thing you may want to do is to clean the condenser coils.

Gene.
spkalb0930  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 6:51:48 PM(UTC)
spkalb0930

Thank you.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply