Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
trishglxk  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2008 2:00:13 PM(UTC)
trishglxk

Groups: Registered

Hello, hopefully the pros on this site can help me do some troubleshooting. The infrared broiler unit on my 6 year old Thermador professional gas range (liq. propane) has stopped working. The igniter unit glows brightly orange, but the mesh screens do not ignite. If it matters, when I turn the broiler on I don't hear the gas flowing, as I do when I turn the oven on.

The broiler on this range has always been a little funky. In the past, after using the broiler (not used very frequently) we have what can only be described as a "mini" explosion in the closed oven a minute or so after we turn the broiler off. Definitely unnerving.
The burners and over all seem to be working fine.

Any ideas?
Thank you,
Trish
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 5, 2008 12:01:20 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Trish,

Sounds like the problem is a bad broil igniter (#12 on the main oven controls break down diagram).

Did you replace the burner orifice when you convert the range to LP? It must be replaced and I did not find the conversion kit in the parts list for this model. According to the manufacturer instructions this range is not convertible and the type of gas (natural or propane) should be specified at time of purchase.

Also I would recommend to inspect the broil burner for any damages, like a burned through holes.

- The part number for the broil igniter is AP2832933

- The part number for the infrared burner assembly is AP2837095

Here are the break down diagrams for the Thermador range Model PRG364GL

Gene.
trishglxk  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2008 5:09:24 AM(UTC)
trishglxk

Hi Gene, and thanks for the reply.
The oven was in our house when we purchased it, so I can't be absolutly certain about the LP conversion. But except for the broiler, all other functions of this range perform as you would expect them to. If the conversion wasn't performed properly, do you think I would have been seeing other problems?

When I turn the broiler on, the broiler igniter is glowing brightly after about 15-20 seconds. Does it perform some other function? Should this igniter be giving off any heat that I could feel by putting my hand near it?

Also, when I turn the oven thermostat on to any temperature, I can hear the sound of gas flowing--which is normal. When I turn the knob to the broil setting, should I still be hearing gas flowing?

Thanks again,
Trish
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2008 12:47:08 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Trish,

You can learn how the oven igniter works from one of our previous posts: http://forum.appliancepartspros...1897-oven-wont-lite.html

Gene.
trishglxk  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2008 3:49:44 PM(UTC)
trishglxk

Thanks Gene...Thanks for the additional info. I believe you are correct about the igniter being the likely source of the problem.

I'm the handy one in the family...do you think I can handle replacing the part myself?

Kindly,
Trish
Gene  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2008 5:18:50 PM(UTC)
Gene

Trish,

This part is not too difficult to replace yourself.

Gene.
Glenn House  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:27:35 AM(UTC)
Glenn House

I'm having the same issue. I have been lighting mine manualy. Only one side works.

Thanks,
Glenn
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply