Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages«<23456>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
joesteinerii  
#31 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2010 6:53:00 PM(UTC)
joesteinerii

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: gewill Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the update. After a long search I found some at "mouser.com/transistors" and enter in search box "512-KSA733"
They sell them each. My dumb dryer has started to work OK recently but I will buy a few transistors and try them when it quits again. Let me know if you have any luck with the transistor replacement, I will let you know if I do. Thanks again, George

Greetings,

I bought five at a nickel apiece. I removed my blower motor and had my brother, who is experienced at removing and replacing transistors, extract and replace the transistor. After putting the dryer back together, and putting the dryer in diagnostic mode, the blower motor did not come on at all. I removed the motor again, extracted and replaced the transistor, and got the same result. I guess I'll just buy a new motor now. Don't know what else to do.

I did log the steps to remove the blower motor, here they are:

Instructions for removing the blower motor from a GE Profile Harmony Gas Dryer
I used several plastic yogurt containers to hold the screws for each step and kept them in order. It helped on reassembly

1. Unplug the dryer
2. Locate and remove the 4 screws from the backside of the top control console. two are short and two are long
3. Tilt the console towards the front and lift off
4. Unplug the three data cables by squeezing the tab and rocking them side to side
5. Remove the plastic cable control piece from the back left side by lifting up
6. Disconnect the black and white power connectors by squeezing the tab and pulling
7. Remove the two screws securing the power control module (the big plastic box with all the wires) and set to the side
8. Remove the screw that holds the little white plastic module that has the black and white wires coming from it. Set to the side and remove the metal heat shield
9. Remove the two screws in the back left and back right that hold the top of the dryer on
10. Slide the top of the dryer forward and up. It will want to hang up on the green wire, don't force it.
11. Open the dryer door and remove the filter
12. Remove the 4 screws from the front of the dryer
13. Now, while leaning against the front of the dryer, remove the two frontmost screws from the top of the front. Not that the front of the dryer goes under the metal tabs where the screws are but over the metal flange that runs across the front.
14. Pull the top of the front towards you and lift up. If the door is open it will want to fall forward anyway. Set to the side.
15. There is a metal shroud that goes from the filter and covers the fan. Remove the two machine screws and take it off
16. In the upper left corner, there is a connection with yellow wires, push down the tab and disconnect it
17. Disconnect the blue/black wires from the light by simply pulling it out
18. Remove the four screws that hold the front drum support to the sides of the washer.
19. While supporting the drum, lift up and remove the front drum support
20. On the lower left of the dryer, there is a tensioning pulley, remove the belt from inside the pulley.
21. Carefully remove the drum and belt, I rocked it side to side while holding it up and it came out easily. The belt did want to catch on something, so don't force it.
22. Remove the two screws that hold the round metal cover on the fan shroud and remove the cover
23. There is a flat spot on the back of the blower motor, put a six inch crescent wrench on that and use a 1/2" socket on the nut on the front of the fan. This is a reverse threaded nut, rotate right to loosen. Remove the nut and pull out the fan. Note that there is a lockwasher and an oblong plate that may come loose.
24. Remove the two black screws from the bottom of the plastic fan housing
25. Remove the three brass colored screws from inside the plastic fan housing
26. Disconnect the two white wires from the spade lugs on the back of the fan housing. Then disconnect the red wire connector. Remove the fan housing.
27. Disconnect the wiring harness to the motor. There is a little tab on one side that needs to be lifted up to disconnect
28. Remove the spring clips holding the motor onto the frame. There is a U shaped end on the left side, pull that out to release.
29. Now, lift the motor from the housing. Note the wire capture plastic piece, be sure to release the wires from that.

Reinstalling: Reverse the above steps

Reinstall notes:

30. When reconnecting the drum belt, hold the tensioner back with your left hand and loop the belt over the motor pulley. This took me a couple of tries to get it right. I couldn't ever see clearly if I got the grooved belt lined up with the grooves on the drum motor pulley, but I finally concluded that the pulley must be just the right size for the belt, so I let it go. I spun the drum and it seemed to have some resistance from the front and back seals. I assumed that was normal.

31. When reinstalling the front of the dryer with the door, first, be sure and hook up the door open wiring, then be sure and set the door over the square nylon pins on the bottom. On the top, the panel goes under the fins on the far left and right, but goes over the metal fin that runs left and right.
BARTMAN  
#32 Posted : Saturday, May 1, 2010 8:40:06 AM(UTC)
BARTMAN

Originally Posted by: BARTMAN Go to Quoted Post
will update as soon as I replace transistor.

I received the transistor today put the dryer together and no good! still no heat or blowing. any Ideas.
joesteinerii  
#33 Posted : Saturday, May 1, 2010 9:17:00 AM(UTC)
joesteinerii

I received the transistor today put the dryer together and no good! still no heat or blowing. any Ideas.

I did the same thing, swapped out the transistor with a 512-KSA733YBU PNP Epitaxial Sil Fairchild Bipolar Transistor. I reassembled everything and ran the diagnostic. The blower motor would not spin up at all. It showed 0 rpm and intermittently flashed a NG in the space where OK is supposed to show up.

My guess is that this is not the correct transistor. I don't have the skillset or tools to fix. Unfortunately, I threw the transistor I removed away, so I can't reinstall it.

I broke down and bought a new blower motor for 150.00 at the local appliance repair shop. They gave me a lifetime replacement warranty on it, so I should be set for the life of the dryer.

I would like to get the correct transistor for the old motor I have.

Any of you smart guys out there got any ideas?
BARTMAN  
#34 Posted : Saturday, May 1, 2010 9:27:00 AM(UTC)
BARTMAN

got it worrking!!!!!!! I orderered a couple of different transistors just in case the one you suggested did not work. The one that worked is mouser part number KSA733CYTA. don buy motor just spend $7 and get your dryer working. .05 cent peice stops a $1200 dryer go figure.
joesteinerii  
#35 Posted : Saturday, May 1, 2010 10:13:39 AM(UTC)
joesteinerii

got it worrking!!!!!!! I orderered a couple of different transistors just in case the one you suggested did not work. The one that worked is mouser part number KSA733CYTA. don buy motor just spend $7 and get your dryer working. .05 cent peice stops a $1200 dryer go figure.

Great, I'll order ten of them and put one in my old motor. Then I'll have a spare. My brother has the same dryer, I'll be able to fix his when it goes bad

Thanks for sharing

Did you run the diagnostics test on it?
BARTMAN  
#36 Posted : Saturday, May 1, 2010 10:28:55 AM(UTC)
BARTMAN

Originally Posted by: joesteinerii Go to Quoted Post
Great, I'll order ten of them and put one in my old motor. Then I'll have a spare. My brother has the same dryer, I'll be able to fix his when it goes bad

Thanks for sharing

Did you run the diagnostics test on it?

Ran both diagnostics screens.

Back/My cycles: No problem detected

Help/Start stop; blower has instant rpm reading and goes over 2000rpm's
gewill  
#37 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2010 10:42:49 AM(UTC)
gewill

My dryer works 90% of the time so rather than risk several disassenblies
I just ordered the new motor ( $131). Also, after some thought, an intermittet problem like this is seldom a transistor, more likely a bad solder joint or some internal sensor that can reset itself. From all the comments I have read, when the motor is replaced the problem goes away, RIGHT ???
GW
BARTMAN  
#38 Posted : Monday, May 3, 2010 6:27:47 AM(UTC)
BARTMAN

My dryer works 90% of the time so rather than risk several disassenblies
I just ordered the new motor ( $131). Also, after some thought, an intermittet problem like this is seldom a transistor, more likely a bad solder joint or some internal sensor that can reset itself. From all the comments I have read, when the motor is replaced the problem goes away, RIGHT ???
GW

Problem was the transistor. tested on the circuit and off and failed. washer works 100% with new transistor ran 10 loads over the weekend and no problems. washer is easy to dissasemble and reasemble. I highly recomend replacing transitor over buying new motor for an extra 10 minutes of work. especially since the high price difference. $131 versus .5 cents. only took 15 minutes to put dryer back together. You might want to replace the transitor on your old motor to have a back up since they seem to be "the major" problem of this dryer. to answer your question when I replaced the Transitor in the motor ther blower ran instantly, so yes if you replace the blower motor the problem should go away as long as that was the only problem that came up during diagnostics.
gewill  
#39 Posted : Monday, May 3, 2010 12:52:26 PM(UTC)
gewill

I am sorry - I thought I read where the replaced transistor did not fix the problem. Yes, I certainly will now also buy the transistor and replace it in the motor for the next time it goes out, Thanks again
BARTMAN  
#40 Posted : Monday, May 3, 2010 12:57:13 PM(UTC)
BARTMAN

I am sorry - I thought I read where the replaced transistor did not fix the problem. Yes, I certainly will now also buy the transistor and replace it in the motor for the next time it goes out, Thanks again

Check my prior posts for the correct transistor.