Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ianandamy  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 5, 2008 12:02:06 PM(UTC)
ianandamy

Groups: Registered

I woke up the other day and the unit was not as cold as it normally was and there was frost in the freezer and the ice cream was soft.

I opened the back and removed the front grill and cleaned the coils and verified the compressor was runing, fan was runing, compressor is hot, start and relay are good. the drain is working and the coil is not frozen and evap fan is working.

I ended up turning the thermostat up to just before max, it worked after about 5 hours it became stable. and the only abnormal issue is the freezer is frosting a little on the items.

Any help would be great.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 5, 2008 5:13:59 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I would recommend to buy two refrigerator thermometers and keep them always inside to control temperatures in the freezer and in the fresh food compartment. Normally it suppose to be about 0°F in the freezer and between 36°F to 40°F in the fresh food compartment.

Adjust the controls if needed and be advised that it takes about 24 hours to see the result.

- The part number for the refrigerator & freezer thermometer is AP3549145

Gene.
ianandamy  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 5, 2008 5:53:44 PM(UTC)
ianandamy

Groups: Registered

I have had this fridge for 2 years it has never been changed on the temps and yesterday morning the unit started running warmer and the ice cream was very soft fridge was like 60 degrees. I was thinking more along the lines of a defrost control circuit issue or heater is out.

I dont think thermometers are going to fix the issue. right now the freezer is +12 degrees and the fridge is 50 degrees. However the temp switch is maxed out to get it there. when it was set where it was for two years it was colder than this and it was at 3 out of 5 on the temp setting.

thanks for your reply pleaselet me know what you think further.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2008 1:29:27 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If there is frost in the back of the freezer then the problem is a faulty defrost system. If there is no frost then the cooling (sealed) system is low on Freon.

If this is Freon issue and your fridge is less then 5 years, then it's steel under the manufacturer warranty and you have to call Whirlpool for a free service.

If this is a problem with the defrost system - let us know.

Gene.