Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JJS  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 24, 2010 10:33:13 PM(UTC)
JJS

Groups: Registered

Hello all,

Hope someone can help me. I have a GE 15 CU Ft. chest freezer that slowly stopped getting as cold as it should be, not dead yet though. The compressor was also running continuously without stopping. My experience has been that no one wants to even work on this closed system. (I've tried before.) This freezer is about 7 years old.

I went out and replaced this freezer with a new one, but I'm not ready to toss it yet. We could use it this summer.
I think it is a slow leak and I want to try topping off the freon to see if I can get another 12 months or so out of it.
I do all my own automotive A/C work. I have R-134A gauges, freon, and a vacuum pump.

So....where do I go from here? Do I run to my local HVAC supply and buy a piercing valve?? The piercing valves listed online don't tell what type of connector they have on them. What do I have to do to make sure mine is a R134 connector? The freezer is R134A by the way. Would appreciate any advice other than to give it up.

Thanks,
John
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

FridgeDoctor  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 2:08:07 PM(UTC)
FridgeDoctor

Groups: Expert

Are you EPA certified in Type I refrigerant? MVAC systems are completely different than repairing a hermetically sealed system of a refrigerator or freezer appliance. You should know this. You should also know that you cant just add refrigerant to a compromised system without repairing the damaged component. You should also know that if you dont dehydrate the system properly, the resulting acids will further damage components. The fact that you even ask which piercing valves to use indicate you dont know how to service this type of system. If you arent trained in performing this type of refrigerator repair, you would be better off to buy a new freezer for $400, instead of wasting your money trying to fix your small little freezer and THEN buying a new freezer for $400. Oh, did I mention the nearly $40,000 EPA fine for knowingly adding refrigerant to a compromised system without performing the proper and LEGAL repairs?
TCM14  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2010 6:10:10 AM(UTC)
TCM14

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: FridgeDoctor Go to Quoted Post
Are you EPA certified in Type I refrigerant? MVAC systems are completely different than repairing a hermetically sealed system of a refrigerator or freezer appliance. You should know this. You should also know that you cant just add refrigerant to a compromised system without repairing the damaged component. You should also know that if you dont dehydrate the system properly, the resulting acids will further damage components. The fact that you even ask which piercing valves to use indicate you dont know how to service this type of system. If you arent trained in performing this type of refrigerator repair, you would be better off to buy a new freezer for $400, instead of wasting your money trying to fix your small little freezer and THEN buying a new freezer for $400. Oh, did I mention the nearly $40,000 EPA fine for knowingly adding refrigerant to a compromised system without performing the proper and LEGAL repairs?

FridgeDoctor,
You do not need a license to service any R134A system which is why the average person can purchase R134A at any auto parts store. You must have a certification to purchase R12 & R22.
You are correct that simply installing a piercing valve to add freon to a compromised system will not fix the problem.
It's obvoius that there is a leak somewhere in the sealed system that must be repaired, a new filter/drier installed & the system leak checked then either evacuated or sweep charged. After that, the final charge of the proper amount of freon is put in.
Again if this is an R134A system, no certification is required, BUT.......to service any sealed system on appliaces does require very expensive equipment, i.e. charging cylinder or scale to install the correct amount of freon, a vacuum or recovery pump, and an oxy-acetylene brazing torch.
Most of all, the training & skill to perform sealed system repairs.
John just simply needs to junk his freezer.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply