Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
checkerkitty  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 23, 2010 1:19:40 PM(UTC)
checkerkitty

Groups: Registered

A couple of weeks ago I was washing a king sized waterproof mattress protector. During the final spin cycle, the washer started making a noise that sounded like a loud vibration or grunting sound that got louder and longer and ended in a banging sound. I stopped the washer and found the protector holding at least a gallon of water. I dumped the water and spun it out without a problem. I unplugged the washer for good measure. I have had two weeks of perfect operation.

Today I was running a load of bath towels after multiple loads of lighter clothes and sheets. I heard the noise again during the final spin. The washer was spinning just fine. The sound is coming from the back, left side of the washer as you face it. The sound is intermittent at first. It will vibrate for a few seconds, stop for a few seconds, then vibrate again. The sound and vibration gets longer and longer and louder. Then the sound just kept going so I stopped the washer.

A local repair man said it is probably the motor or something stuck between the two drums, but most likely the motor. My husband took the access door off the back and turned the drum. The motor makes a slight rasping sound like the bearings are dry or rubbing. My husband can replace the motor, but we wanted other opinions to make sure this is the problem. Is the motor just starting to go? Is it something else? The machine is only 2 1/2 years old and we never expected problems, especially this soon. I would rather repair than replace, if feasible. Any help is appreciated.

Christy
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.