Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dieselgg  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 11, 2010 1:48:56 PM(UTC)
dieselgg

Groups: Registered

I have Whirlpool dryer YCEQ5000KQ1 (Cdn model) and when the dryer is set for timed drying, it won't stop. It continues to operate and does not stop at the set time.

The only think I can think that it would be is that the timer needs replacing. Based on the parts breakdown for this model, the part # is 8299778.

Whirlpool Parts Online

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Gus
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 5:27:45 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Finding tech info on it is going to be a pain as it is a Canadian model.

I could not find anything, so I used the timer part number and found it is also used in a LER5636. Below is the wiring diagram for that unit, note that it may be close to yours but is still a shot in the dark. The following is based on this wiring diagram so I may be on the money but may be out to lunch. Take a look inside the units control console, your wiring diagram may be in there.
http://www.servicematters.com/docs/wiring/Wiring%20Sheet%20-%208528187.pdf

You did not say if it will not stop in all modes re: timed dry and auto modes.
Also does the timer not advance or does it go past the off position and just keep running.

If it is the latter then odds are it is a timer problem.

If it does not advance in any mode then it is probably a timer problem.
This can be checked with a meter. If the timer motor gets voltage and does not advance it is toast.
Be very, very careful!! Looks like this timer runs on 240 volts which is lethal!!

If the unit runs and shuts off properly in timed dry but does not advance/shut off in auto modes then you may have a heater problem.
The way it works is that the timer motor gets voltage directly from the line when in timed dry.
In auto modes it only gets voltage when the heater is shut off. Could be the heater is never off.
Check the heating coil.
Unplug the unit and both wires to the coil.
Check it with a meter, should be around 12 ohms.
Then check from each side of the coil to the case/frame, both should be infinite ohms (open). If not the coil may have sagged or broken and is touching the case. This can cause it to run on high and the thermostats cannot regulate it.

If OK
Unplug the unit set it to auto and check the Timer Switch 0, TM to OR should be 0 ohms.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
dieselgg  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 5:46:59 AM(UTC)
dieselgg

Denman,

When it is set for timed drying say for like 30 minutes, the timer would get stuck say at something like 20 minutes for example and just stay there and continue to operate. When opening the door as it operates, the dryer stops. When closing the door, you still have to press the Start button to resume operation. I was thinking maybe it might the push-to-start button if when closing the door, the dryer would resume operation without having to press the start button.

Thanks for the troubleshooting steps and the link to the wiring diagram. But today, everything is working fine. The timer does not get stuck anymore and stops the set time. Which part should I expect to fail based on the situation I describe above or will it require more troubleshooting on my end when the problem occurs again?

Regards,
Gus
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 5:56:48 AM(UTC)
denman

Does sound like the timer is on it's last legs.
Could me the timer motor is going, dirt and crud in the timer's gears or a worn gear train.

Doubt it would be the Push To Start. it is not in circuit once the unit starts to run.
You can see that one of the motor's centrifugal switches is in parallel with the Push To Start so once the unit starts the Push to Start has no effect on it.
Also the timer gets juice from the heater line and since you still have heat, the other centrifugal switch is also be OK.
dieselgg  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 6:00:20 AM(UTC)
dieselgg

Denman,

When I get some time I will open up the control panel and see if I can do a visual of the timer switch to look for dirt/crud or worn gears.

Thanks,
ArmyPilot  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 3:51:23 AM(UTC)
ArmyPilot

After repairing the burnt wires the dryer runs and heats great. The timer does not advance nor shut off the dryer. Is there any repair for the timer other than replace it?
denman  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:16:05 AM(UTC)
denman

I am assuming that it is not advancing in either timed or auto modes.
You could check the timer motor just to be sure it is receiving voltage.
Be very, very careful as it is 240 volts which is lethal.

Though from your earlier posts it does sound like the timer gears etc.

I would just replace it, as it could be a dirty gear drive train, a weak timer motor, bad gear teeth etc. The timers are usually riveted together so it is more hassle than it is worth.
ArmyPilot  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:18:31 AM(UTC)
ArmyPilot

Thank you for your timely advice I was thinking the same thing.