Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
konfuzed  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2008 11:43:48 AM(UTC)
konfuzed

Groups: Registered

We moved into a house with this fridge last year. I didn't realize the water dispenser and ice maker weren't working because we didn't think they'd be leaving it with the house.

So I replaced the water line in (it was tapped poorly) and there's plenty of pressure. Lo there is no water in the fridge still. The filter is clean and dry, doesn't look to have been used, so now that weather is starting to warm up again I decided to look more closely.

I popped off the back connector where the water comes in and the filter is completely clear. I disconnected the plastic lines under the electromagnet valves (I think that's what the green and yellow cylinders are at least) and there wasn't a drop of water in either line.

So I'm guessing these valves are bad, possibly from trying to run for who knows how long without actually having water flow through them. It FELT like the yellow one was trying to move when I had someone else push the water handle in, but doesn't mean anything could flow obviously.

Do I need to just replace that assembly or is there something else I should check first to make sure. There's plenty of pressure coming in the copper line into the filtered end.

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

misterfixall  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2008 12:06:36 PM(UTC)
misterfixall

Groups: Senior Expert

i have a test cord to check power to valves ,its made up of a small appliance toaster or kettle cord leave the plug on cord .attach two spade conectors to line .remove wires on valves and connect made up line cord +plug in wall outlet ,remove tubing at other side of valve where water comes out.+plg in wall outlet ,if water comes out strong water valve should be fine, do same to other valve
konfuzed  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2008 12:13:08 PM(UTC)
konfuzed

Thanks I'll go try that now once I dig out some spade plugs to attach to an old cord ;)
konfuzed  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2008 12:26:32 PM(UTC)
konfuzed

Ok so I pulled off the fridge connectors, double-checked the water was back on, and used a replacement lamp cord to trigger the electromagnets.

I could feel them sorta wanting to vibrate, but no water flow. Checked both green and yellow, nada on either. Loosened the compression valve just to sanity check the water flow and it was definitely fine.

It looks like the part number is 2186989 to replace it, but if you can think of anything else to do to it first I'd appreciate it. I also got away with not having to crimp spade connectors on b/c the valve stems had holes in them, so even faster.

Thanks!
misterfixall  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2008 12:42:22 PM(UTC)
misterfixall

Groups: Senior Expert

start off by replacing valve+ take it from there
konfuzed  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2008 1:18:59 PM(UTC)
konfuzed

Got a replacement coming, so will let ya know. Thanks for the quick help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply