Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kinsman  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 8:18:50 AM(UTC)
kinsman

Groups: Registered

The riser cam on the freezer door bottom hinge is broken. I replaced the refrigerator-side one a few years ago with no problem, but on the freezer side the water hose goes through the hinge pin, making it impossible to remove the door and replace the cam without disconnecting the water hose at the 5/16" union.How is the plastic water line attached to the union? Do I need to replace the union to get the right compression fittings? In general, what is the procedure to replace the riser cam on the freezer side?Thank you.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

FridgeDoctor  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:48:29 AM(UTC)
FridgeDoctor

Groups: Expert

You'll be happy to know that since you have already replaced the fresh food door hinge and cam, the freezer door, though daunting in appearance, is not that much more difficult. You will have to unscrew the 5/16" union, there is no way of getting around it, but you will not have to shut the water off to the fridge. You may get a couple of ounces of water from the line in the door, but not much to panic about. Remove the union nut on the side closest to the door, leaving the remaining fittings on the right side. Now you will have to slide off the left union nut off the water line coming from the door. If you find it difficult to pull off, slide the nut towards the door, cut the very end of the tube, just above the indentation, with a razor blade, nice and straight, no burrs, then slide the nut off. Its best to cut this portion of the tube anyway before reconnecting, and there is always plenty of water line, and your only cutting off less than 1/2" anyway. OK, now your almost done, remove the upper hinge cover, unplug the wire connector, and possibly the ground wire, and remove the 2-3 bolts you have up there, pull the door straight up, slowly, so you dont damage the water line. Lay the door down on a couple of big towels on the floor, do not stand door up straight, as you may kink the water line, possibly cracking it, and causing much more troubles. trust me, lay it down on its side. replace the hinge on the frame, and then replace the cam riser and the shim, which you should have also done on the fresh food door. the original was like salmon colored cardboard shim, the new one is gray with a red stripe on one side. If you dont replace this shim, the cam riser will prematurely break down. It might be easier to put the door back on with two people, one holding the door, one feeding water line through hinge pin, ive done it by myself many times, its just not easy. secure the top hinge, reconnect water line, ground wire, wire connector, and your all set.

Expert Refrigerator Repair Service in Chicago and Suburbs
kinsman  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:13:01 AM(UTC)
kinsman

Groups: Registered

Exactly what I needed to know.

Thank you