Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kimberly600  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:47:30 AM(UTC)
kimberly600

Groups: Registered

5 year old Whirlpool washer - doesn't spin fast enough to drain water from clothes. The only time it will do a decent job is if the load is really light.
Had a repair guy by yesterday - for over 100.00 he told me the motor probably needs replacing...but couldn't or wouldn't do it then, and didn't know the cost.
Is it the motor....or a coupling?
Is this something I can do....or should I call them back? I will not pay the initial service fee of 72.00 to walk in the house...but at 25.oo per 15 minutes....it could get pricey.
It is not an old washer but gets lots of use - 4 kids and me.
I just don't want to pay hundreds of dollars if it makes more sense to buy a new one....but don't want to do that either.
He didn't even check the coupler or the motor.

Please help -
thanks
Kim
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:55:19 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

Kim,
It could be a couple of different things, usually if it's the coupling it won't spin at all. I don't know how much your service guy looked at the machine and I try not to knock anyones business.
But I would lean more towards the clutch not releasing the brake, thus not allowing the tub to spin correctly. Which would be a cheaper fix for you. Although it could be in the motor as well.
I tried to look at the model number you have posted, but I think that's actually ther serial number.
I know this buy some of the service call rates I've seen posted here, all I can say is WOW!
Hope that helps
kimberly600  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2008 8:16:58 AM(UTC)
kimberly600

Thanks so much for the reply. Very thoughtful.
I found the model # LSR8433KQO and serial CM1984095

IT spins now but usually have to take clothes out and spin it several times to get everything dry enough for dryer.

Don't know how good/not good this guy was - I did already spend 108.00. And they are quoting a new motor for 150.00 and another 75.00 labor.

Is this something I can tackle? What would I need if it was the clutch and brake assembly? Does it sound more like that than a motor problem.

I don't know what to do - I just don't want to spend another 250.00!!! It's crazy -

Thanks for your help!

kim
libertyappl  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2008 1:17:03 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

I think it's a clutch problem. and if you have a socket set with a 1/2 in & 7/16 socket and a 10-12" extension we can talk you thru it. And you might be able to fix it without parts with some sand paper (to save you money.)<<possiblity!
We are in a very rural area where a lot of people are on a fixed income, so we try to save people as much money as possible.
Nat
kimberly600  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:00:23 PM(UTC)
kimberly600

Hi Nat,
What a great service you offer. Thank you - looks like I'm living in the wrong neck of the woods. (Fairfield County, CT)
A friend is going to come by with tools Saturday morning. Can you send me instructions to check and repair the clutch?

I'm really grateful for your time and effort and help. I'm sure I speak for all the other folks as well. Thanks.

Kim
libertyappl  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:11:26 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

You're welcome!!
I will try to type them all out. If you want to post your email or send a message to mine (libertyapplservice@yahoo.com)I can put it all there for you to print out.
Nat
sgallimore  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:03:54 AM(UTC)
sgallimore

Nat, i emailed you directly but wanted to add to this forum since I registered. Our Whirlpool model LA7800XT is not spinning fast enough to drain tub and clothes. Must run spin cycle a couple of times. Unit has gradually gotten worse, used to drain the water from tub but clothes still wet. Any thoughts with this information?
arvimur  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2009 7:59:50 AM(UTC)
arvimur

Can you please forward the instructions to me also. I have sent you mail also. The difference is that my serial number is CP3594802

Thanks
Murali
palefty  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:30:07 PM(UTC)
palefty

I wouldn't mind a copy of those instructions myself. However, I'm experiencing the same (spin) problem with (whirlpool) model # LSQ8243HQ0. It spins ok with light loads but will not spin enough to get all of the wetness out of the heavier loads. Have to spin it several times to get the job done. I'm pretty handy with DYI stuff so any help would be appreciated.
libertyappl  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:43:34 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Send me an email and I will be happy to forward it to you.

Nat
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply